• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People who keep there bunnys in sheds

Bunnytod

Mama Doe
How do you keep your bunnys cool in the heat when there in a shed, Just been sorting mine out for when the bunnys move in and its really hot. Also what do you have in the windows is it glass or just meshed??

We have frosted perspex in the shed. At the moment it is really nice and cool in there. I'm going to keep a close eye on it as it gets hotter.

Mine had a perspex window, but I took that out a few days ago and replaced it with wire mesh. It has helped to cool the shed down a bit :)

I have a couple of fans on timers and also iced water onhand. I have marble slabs too, my shed is 17 c so its not hot hot in there,
I also got some black net type mesh for the window and open door space, but not to many flies are around , i have an electronic fly killer from a friend who has a resaurant.
I also check bums every few hours and have rear gaurded all bums lol
I also make sure there is no major poos and wee left in runs , i hose the grass down at night!!(sad arn't i) al cages are steam cleaned daily in hot weather, and disinfected with defra products.

I have a couple of fans on timers and also iced water onhand. I have marble slabs too, my shed is 17 c so its not hot hot in there,
I also got some black net type mesh for the window and open door space, but not to many flies are around , i have an electronic fly killer from a friend who has a resaurant.
I also make sure there is no major poos and wee left in runs , i hose the grass down at night!!(sad arn't i) al cages are steam cleaned daily in hot weather, and disinfected with defra products.

you are a busy bee

I have an inner mesh door so can open the main door! I still have the sandard windows in it, was trying to think of a way to shade it form the sun (which would only shine in early in the morning!) - was thinking of trying to buy one of those things you can put in the window screen of your car? Haven't noticed it getting too hot, however I'm at work during the hottest part of the day!

My rabbits spend much of their time in their attached run which has shade provided :D

Hannah

I meshed the windows and have a shelf at window level, so they always have access to a breeze... I also have the door open all day, as they have a fenced run at the front of the shed :)

I was surprised how hot sheds get when I was cleaning them out at the rescue yesterday, no wonder the buns were all outside in the cool grass.

I nearly fainted in one.

Ours is right at the bottom of the garden and is overlooked so nice and shady. I've just been in there to cool down as the house is soo hot, the sun shines directly in through the patio doors. :(

Mine have an electric fan and a heater for winter too :oops::lol:

I left the windows in but the door is 3 foot and that it is left open as I have another mesh door inside.

My giants have a run attached too.

As soon as I get back from work at 4 mine are let out into the yard. See pics just posted recently!:D

I am also going to start using frozen water bottles :D

bluebells hutch is inside a concrete shed so luckily its always cool in there.the window is always open aswell.getting a plug socket put in soon so i can put a fan in there aswell.xxx

I have an opening window(with a net curtain), with a mesh cover so I can safely leave it open at night. I let the rabbits out into their fixed run (with the cat flap left open) at about 6.30am and they go in at night at about 8.30pm, so they have a cool breeze going through the playhouse during the hottest parts of the day.

When it's really hot, I have been known to soak and old sheet and drape it over to cool everything down.

Do you put your marble slabs over the wooden shed floor? I think that would be very cool to lie on...
My two do like to clean themselves alot so they are ok on their bums but i gave a bit of spinach to Smokey and she has had too many eating poo's that she hasnt been eating... So spinach is not for her... and i need to check her over...

My shed is 33 degrees!! The bun is in a hutch in there cos of all the dangerous stuff - lawnmowers etc - we have nowhere else to store them. I bought a run today and as from tomorrow he will be in there while I am at work and as soon as I get home he gets the run of the garden for an hour to run as mad as he can and exercise. I put ice cubes in his water and have frozen bottle of water to make the hay in his bed cold for him to lie on.

Do you put your marble slabs over the wooden shed floor? I think that would be very cool to lie on...
My two do like to clean themselves alot so they are ok on their bums but i gave a bit of spinach to Smokey and she has had too many eating poo's that she hasnt been eating... So spinach is not for her... and i need to check her over...

I have them in their cages and on the floor, they are all off cuts so were very cheap and some were free

Angel has a shed which is in the shade all day.She has a cat flap to the run so she can come and go has she pleases.I have a couple of marble tiles for her to lay on in the run.I also have taken the window out and replaced it with mesh and fly netting.
Smokey and Fudge have a dog kennel/run which is open at the front.I have silver reflective foil on the roof has the sun hits it for 3 hours in the morning.They also have marbles slabs down which they lay on.

Mine is just normal window but i have a carpet nailed to roof hanging down over it, i have put flooring down and just put their litter trays in with hay and a hay box so its easy to sweep and mop out and change hay every day :) the flooring keeps buns cool too, and they also have access to an outdoor run 24/7
xx

Back