• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recently brought an Angora rabbit

SarahM

Warren Scout
Hi

I've just got an Angora rabbit.

Just looking for some advice as to how to care for, she is going to be a house rabbit, what is best to use in the litter tray, how often will she need grooming and any other advice would be greatly appriciated.

I already have a New Zealand White and a dutch

Many thanks

Sarah

Wow how lovely. could you use something like megazorb with hay ontop? as for grooming not sure really. I think if you go onto Rabbit Rehome there is a section on caring for rabbits with longhair :D

The breeder should have advised on grooming - did they give you a grooming demo? She will need daily grooming for about 10 - 15 mins - the best way to groom is actually to use a hairdryer set to cool to blow the hair and allow you to see all the knots at the base of the coat. Their coat grows at a rate of about an inch a month, at about 8 months she'll start to moult and the coat will web up and matt. This is when it will need clipping off to about 2 inches in length to start again.

I would recommend the following book:
http://www.furandfeather.co.uk/bcatrabbits_breeds.htm

And would also recommend you join the Angora Club, all of their members will be extremely helpful. I think Membership is £3 or £4 for the year - so a bargain really! You'll get a fab yearbook with loads of articles on grooming and all the things Angora wool could be used for. You never know, you might decide to give spinning or felting a go!

http://ww.thebrc.org/clubmap.htm#national

If you need advice re grooming feel free to PM me, my Aunt breeds Angoras and I used to show them.

angora

Sadly all the angora rabbits we have seen have been in a hell of a state. The last one that came in took 3 hrs to clip and we removed 8oz or 225gms of fur.

Our advice would be to buy a set of proper animal clippers, get instruction from someone who is competant in clipping rabbits and keep your bunny well clipped with a short coat of approx 1/2 -3/4 inch.

If you do this not only will your bunny have a a coat it can at least try to groom itself and keep on top of but any knots will keep small.

Although we have never used it you could try Oxbow Eco-straw which are compressed wheat pellets together with a hay ball.

The reason we have never tried this product is because we have found as our rabbits are kept on hay trays and in the case of angoras/casmere's they are kept well clipped we have never had a significant problem.

Daily removal of soiled bedding is a must together with prompt removal of any small matts.

Anybody reading this and considering such a bunny should be aware they are seriously unsuited for outside or where they are going to get even slightly wet as their coats just end up like soggy cotton wool.

n.b has anybody used the Eco -straw product from Oxbow?

I bed angoras mainly on shredded paper and hay as if they come in cotact with shavings they are a total nightmare, i tend to clip the one that lives here right down so there is no long hair particularly round the back end

Also be very aware they have very fragile bones so when grooming try to sit on the floor as I had one break its back when it jumped, they are noted for this

Back