• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nail clipping nervous bunnies

rachelsawyer

Warren Scout
Hi guys

need some help or tips. I have to cut the buns nails. They are extremely nervous and get scared even if you walk past thier hutch!

I dont want to take them to the vets cause they got gut stasis when they last went to the vets a couple of weeks ago cause they were so scared and stressed!

Whats the best and least stressful way to do this??

Thanks

Hi :wave:

Two people will help and one can hold the rabbit in a towel whilst the other clips! I hate clipping even on my chilled out bunsters!

Lian x

I always cradle the bunnies on their back in my arms but you'd probably need a towel to stop them kicking. Are you able to even catch them?

I would try every evening to catch them, pick them up, turn them on their back to check their bums anyway and it might make them calmer if they get used to being handled in this way.

Lian xx

Last edited:
Because they have had this gut stasis i get scared that im going to scare them, and they will stop eating again. Bella stomps her feet at me all the time and i just want them to know that they are safe with me and id never hurt them oh! :)

Must be really difficult, bless them! Connie hates being picked up too and always stamps her feet when I put her down after her check! I just make sure I have lots of nice treats afterwards and she soon forgives me :lol:

Yes, we got them from a rescue. Its strnage for me as previously i had got babies and brought them up from 3months. So they have always been used to being handled and me. Sorry taking long to reply at work so keep sneakly replying! :lol::lol:

I used to hate this too, so did my bun, but with this we have found it to be less stressful for us all.
Wrap him in the burrito, then just take out a paw at a time. You can keep a grip on the wrap (or someone else can) which keeps him steady (best for your aim and buns foot :D).

Bertie has learnt that we won't harm him doing this and is a lot more chilled about it than he used to be. Good luck :)

oh forgot to say one of my buns have black nails, do you think i am best leaving this to the vet as i cant see the nail quick?

Pippa had black nails and I used to just clip the ends but more often so they were on the longer side but not causing any harm!

Lian x

Back