• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with Sensitive tummy

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Hi My little girl Fudge has had a sensitive tummy since she was born.

I cant feed her many vegetables at all as she gets a messy bum all the time. They were introduced to her gradually as her brothers but she just cant get them. The only things i can give her are herbs and little bits of broccoli.

She is fed small amounts of supa rabbit excel junior and dwarf as she is a mini lop and only 4 months old.

The problem is she doesn't eat a lot of hay and her tummy is making weird noises. I did take her to the vets and he told me to give her almost no pellets and lots of hay, but this hasn't worked. She is eating the tiny amount of pellets and eating no hay. She looks at me as if to say i want more food.

This has been going on for a week and she just isn't interested in hay.

I have spent so much money on hay to see if different types of hay would encourage her to eat it. The types of hay i have bought are Timothy, meadow, flavored (Mint, dandelion, nettle and rose) alfalfa, and dried grass. I have also bought packets of things to mix with her hay like dried peppermint leaves, ribwort leaves, dried carrot and parsley, alfalfa leaves, rosebuds, and mixed dried herbs. And none of this had encouraged her to eat.

She is losing a tiny bit of weight as she isn't getting as much pellets and normal but i don't want to give up as my vet told me to reduce the amount of pellets.

Can anyone help me at all on how to get Fudge to eat her hay. Her mum and dad love hay why is she not like them??

Thank you all:)

:wave: try and get pro fibreplex (may have got it wrong) pellet from vets. i had bun with tummy probs and this helped. also you can get a paste that helps the tummy. will find label and let you know.

You describe that your bun has small amounts of excel to eat, how much is that in weight or how much in a bowl for a complete day.

Some rabbits who are prone to gut problems can be sensitive to Excel / Rabbit mixes or any lower fibre type rabbit food. One idea would be to change your rabbit slowly over to a higher fibre food such as bunny basics T / Science Selective or Alanand Page Natural pellets, i would suggest only giving an egg cup full as maximum. This may help.

Will your rabbit eat fresh grass, hand cut some and sprinkle it around the hutch. Some rabbits prefer hay when it is hung up and has not been trampled on.

When you mention that
This has been going on for a week and she just isn't interested in hay.
do you mean that your buns eating habbits have changed int he past week and is now longer eating hay? If this is the case a dental check may be indicated.

For a complete day its about 20grams/egg cup full.

I have been looking and found that most people feed their bunnies science selective and have wondered if this may be better?? There is a shop near me that sells it but is stopping selling it! can i get it somewhere else?

She is an indoor rabbit and gets outside most days. I have never seen her eat the grass so i grew my own grass in a tray just for her and it hasn't been touched, she doesn't like it.

She used to eat small amounts of hay but over the past 2 - 3 weeks she has stopped eating it altogether and only wants her pellets. When i had phoned my vet he told me he would need to check her teeth and he did but there was no problem!

She has now got an eye infection which i have been treating for a week now and its still the same! Is there anything i can do to help her eye as well!!

I was told Optrex was good for eye infections has anyone heard of Optrex working??

Back