• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny rolling over???

kerina

Warren Scout
We had Thumper in for a run around in the living room last night (only done this once before).

He was running around like a mad bunny, doing a few binkies and generally enjoying himself.

Anyway, he seemed to take a shine to the corner of one of our armchairs and started scratching at it and pulling at the cover with his teeth???

They he started rolling over by it - it was really scary, he looked sort of, well, deranged??? Then he got up again, then he lay down (bunny lay down with front paws in front, back legs stretched out at the back), then he got up, then he rolled over again??

Do you think he is ill, or in discomfort and he is rolling because he has a tummy ache??

We have had him since about February and I have NEVER seen him do this before, but then it was only his second time in the house. He's never done it in his outside run or hutch, that I have seen.

Am i being paranoid?? Should I take him to the vets?? He has had a 6 week course of panacur when I got him in case of EC infection, which he finished on 11th March, so only 2 months ago.

Please help me - i'm so worried

Kerina
xxx

Personally I think it sounds like he is really happy, and he found your chair really comfy :D

Bunnies do flop on their sides when they are happy, the higher their legs go the happier they are.
It can be a bit scary to see if you are not use to it.

If he's running around and eating ok and otherwise seems ok in himself, I wouldn't worry.

If he has any other signs of illness get him checked out at your vet :)

Neo does this all the time. He rolls in his litter tray too:shock: Think it means they're happy and relaxed:)

I only have one bunny that does 360 degree rolls & she quite often lies with her legs in the air......she usually does it when she's had a bit of a binkey & run around then rolls over before lying down.

So you all think it's nothing to worry about then?

Phew *wipes brow*

He just looks so weird when he does it - like he's a long way away, somewhere nice where there are big piles of lovely hay for him to eat!

Having lost a bunny to EC at the beginning of the year (not nice, seizures, loss of balance etc.), I was worried that I was having the same thing again.

Thanks for the reassurance - i'm quite chuffed he was relaxed - it's hard to know what they're feeling and if you're doing things right or not!

Kerina

You've probably already checked but his skin looks okay doesn't it? Nothing there that he could be trying to scratch because it is irritating him?

You've probably already checked but his skin looks okay doesn't it? Nothing there that he could be trying to scratch because it is irritating him?

Yes skin is fine - coat is beautiful (of course LOL)!!

It's really weird that I have never seen him do it outside in his own hutch/run - maybe he's not too happy outside?

Also, what is the significance of "digging" at the armchair as well? He did it on various patches of the carpet as well - he sort of digs at it, then grabs it with his teeth and pulls it. He does it on me as well - quite painful if you don't have enough layers on!!

Kerina

BTW - He is not neutered so maybe the digging this is naughty randy boy bunny things??

Mine always do it in the house, I have never seen them do it in there run it can be funny, I did panick the first time i saw Honey do it

:wave:hi it sounds like you have one very happy bunny, poppy does this all the time.she sometimes rolls over twice and lies with her paws in the air, until you tickle her tummy!!:lol::lol: must admit i initially wondered what she was doing.:lol::lol:

Wild bunnies will sometimes dig a shallow sort of scope out of the ground to lie in. He was possibly arranging the ground to be comfy before he lay down.

Rabbits will relax more when it's warmer - you might see him stretch more outside now the weathers getting hot. Also when they feel most relaxed eg when there are other members of the warren around to share lookup responsibilities or when they know there is no danger about :)

Rabbits will dig at you to get attention to if they think you're ignoring them :lol:

My Ellie is laid like you discribe with the dog and cat on each side, she grooms the cat!!! and bites the dogs bum but he is still laid next to her!!!

haha awww he's relaxed, saffy does this, she rolls over lots and sometimes lies upside down for a bit :lol:

Aww, that sounds like a happy bunny flop. THey can look like they've suddenly dropped dead if they want to too. :lol:

These are two of Nigel's favorite positions

DSCN1157-1-1.jpg

DSCN1097-1.jpg

Don't worry i also had the fright of my life when i saw Daisy do this for the first time, which was when she first saw little Harry, she was bonded with Brambles who was put to sleep so I wasn't sure how she would take to another bunny so when she first saw Harry, she ran around him a little bit (he was in a different run at the time) then went under her favourite tree and did the same thing, I thought she was having a heart attack!!! but thanks to this forum found out it was the "happy bunny flop" :D:D

when i first saw one of my bunnies do that i panicked, i run over and he jumped up, dont know who was more scared, me or the bun.
you haave just got a very happy and relaxed bunny. :D

Snowflake, my mini rex doe (1 yr old) will flop like that when she sits in my lap and I'm petting her.

She's just happy :)

Desty does that a lot. The first time I saw it I actually messaged someone on msn and said "My mum was right, my bunnies do think they're dogs, they're rolling in the carpet!" which caused amusement and a webcam getting directed their way ^_^

Smile and pat yourself on your back, you're a good bunny mommy, your bunny is happy.

Wow - I feel great now - went home last night and told OH what you had all said.

Thank you everyone for putting my mind at rest!

That photo of Saffy is just how he looked!

It's so dramatic when he does it, he just chucks himself at the floor!! I was convinced he had tummy ache or something. He sort of narrows his eyes to little slits like he's in pain, but it seems he's just chilled out.

I am one happy bunny mummy - don't know what I've done, just lucky I guess!!

:D :D :D

Back