• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run floor

CLAREM1

Warren Scout
Could everybody tell me what their run is on Grass, Patio or other I'm not sure if I can put my hutch/run combo on do you know like decorative stones or not would it hurt there ickle feet ? The other option is that I have some left over paving stones that I could put on top of it the stones so its a more even surface what do you reckon - I have got a lawn which would probably be the best option but I'm worried about them digging out or being dug in at how can you stop this ?

ta for the advice the buns are coming on saturday we can't wait!!!:)

Hi ::wave:

Mine are on concrete slabs with rubber matting on top so the surface isn't as harsh on their feet/heels.

If you put on grass, it would be wise to put mesh underneath to stop them digging out or anything digging in. I've never been a fan of placing a hutch/run combo on grass as I doubt it would be easy to clean, at least with concrete you can hose down etc...

I have a pen on the grass that they can play in supervised though.

Lian x

Hi! :wave: I have two separate set ups for two pairs of buns. One pair are in my original shed and run which is fully under-wired and over-wired with galvanised security fencing. As the turf wouldn't grow in the shade, it is now mainly woodchipped with a small area of turf. The other set up is a purpose built shed/run combination on a slab base. They have lots of trays full of hay to sit in (probably around 10 in total) so I don't worry about it being hard on their feet.

I have to say that the slabs are MUCH easier to keep clean. The chipped run tends to attract a lot of flies. Fortunately the girls use one corner as a toilet so it's easier for me to 'dig out' the muck but you never get it all. I can't leave down litter trays outside because it's an open mesh roof.

I prefer the look of the original 'chipped' run because I feel it's a more natural environment for them BUT from my perspective, the one on slabs is the easiest to maintain. I think as long as they get access to grass on a regular basis and they have somewhere to sit other than the slabs, it doesn't really matter what you keep them on.

Hope this helps.

Mine were on slabbing (or should I say crazy paving) but they should be on a nice new level patio when the gardens finished.

Mine are both on slabbing. I have soft areas on the rexes one as they can get sore hocks. I find slabbing is the best as it can be throughly cleaned and swept much easier. :D

Mine were on slabbing (or should I say crazy paving) but they should be on a nice new level patio when the gardens finished.

CRAZY PAVING :shock: SNAP :shock: our's isn't in very good quality though, we've a step at one point and one crazy paving block is loose, I swear one day I'm going to go flying! Also lots of plants and 3 bluebells are growing in it!

Hannah

Back