• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with what to feed babies

NickieM

Warren Veteran
My friend has bought two baby rabbits which are 8 weeks old. They have been fed on Excel adult rabbit pellets. Also, they were in a pound with guinea pigs and their food was mixed up - if indeed they had separate food.

Friend now wonders if she should change their food slowly to baby rabbit food or is it OK to stick with adult stuff.

Also, she was told that the batch they came from had an intolerance to greenstuffs as they had not been fed any. I wondered if other customers had complained about their baby buns having loose stools due to the fact that they hadn't had greens before. Would it be worth trying greens slowly and see what happens?

Advice please!

Heck poor things. with the greens its likely to be that they were feed too much to soon. I'd try them with some fresh grass at first.

The feed I don't believe there is much difference between the younger version other than the size really. Just make sure its agreeing with them, sometimes Excel adult can give runny poo's as well.

Personally (and I am no expert!) this is what I would do: I would supply (as it's meant to be 80% of diet) a lot of hay (in the hope pellet consumption is kept to a minimum) and gradually change the pellet over time...

As they are not used to greens I would refrain from offering any for the time being (until pellets sorted maybe?) and then introduce a very small amount to compliment the hay and pellets ...I am not sure what veg. would be best to try them with - but I am thinking dandelion leaves maybe a good choice as they obviously munch bucket-fulls of these in the wild???:?

Wishing you well any-ho and hoping that they are eating right in the near future!:)

TP;)

Reading up about the junior food it does sound better for young buns. Expert from vet site below.

Supa Rabbit Excel Junior & Dwarf contains enhanced protein and high fibre levels to satisfy the greater nutritional needs of growing rabbits, and the faster metabolism of dwarf breeds. Promoting the friendly bacteria in your rabbit’s tummy will help combat the stresses of weaning, changes in diet and rehoming.

Excel Junior & Dwarf nuggets provide a wholesome balanced diet in every mouthful to prevent selctive feeding.
Contains anti-oxidants to help support the immune system and aid the body’s natural defences.
High fibre diet: essential to keep the digestive system working effectively.
Contains a prebiotic and probiotic to help promote a healthy tummy.

Back