• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Laying rabbit on back????????????

Vicx3

New Kit
Hi,:wave:

I was just wondering whether its ok to lay my rabbit on his back to calm him? some people have told me to do this but not very often as it not very good 4 the rabiit is this true?

Many thanks

vicx

I don't think that's going to work. I have to nearly wrestle my bunnies over in order to turn them on their backs. :roll: Not exactly calming...

I wouldn't personally. It doesn't calm them, it hypnotises them. They lie still for a short time, but they still feel fear.
If you need to calm them down you are better off stroking the top of their head and between their ears or sitting quietly with them.

What is it you need them calm for? If it is a procedure like nail clipping then you may be better off wrapping them in a towel - the bunny burrito. :)

He is just very nervous rabbit he doesnt like being picked up at all even tho i do it alot, i am thinking of getting him a neutered female to help calm him maybe from a rescue centre

thanks

A female will definitely calm him, it will make him happier too. :)

Just sit your bunny on your lap and stroke the top of his head and his ears, that usually calms them down and makes them sleepy. While he is on your lap feed him a treat like dandelion leaves so he learns that it's a nice place to be.

Make the stroking sessions short so he doesn't get too stressed. You could spend time sitting on the floor with him rather than picking him up, and just let him come to you instead, give him lots of little bits of hay and food from your hand so helearns that your hands are good things :)

Good luck. :wave:

they stay still like that but they dont like it, they freeze in fear!

definatly recommend a friend, mine love me more now they have buddies! when i sit in the run with them there always climbing on me etc wanting to play:wave:

Back