• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is dettol okay to use in bunny runs?

I read that any chemical that turns the water milky when you mix it with water isn't safe for pets/animals. Not sure what dettol does.

At the rescue they use Milton sterlising fluid.

Dettol is rapidly inactivated by very tiny amounts of faeces. Virkon is more active in the presence of organic material, but won't touch coccidiosis, which in turn requires a phenol-based (and therefore more toxic) product such as Jeyes fluid.

It is always essential that the hutch/run has time to completely dry out before Bun is returned to it regardless of what disinfectant used

Janex :)

I tend to use bleach but am not really worried about coccidiosis in my house buns as they aren't in contact with other bunnys but do want to kill EC which one of them has. I might use Jeyes when the foster hutch starts getting used, in between bunnys, to make sure every nasty is killed.

i used tescos own brand of dettol, which says its ok for pet use, but only when its completley off the surface and dry.

I think anything that turns white when added to water is best avoided, if it turns white it contains phenol which are harmful to small animals and also cats.
I think Dettol falls into this category so it is best avoided.

Back