• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best thing to make a ramp

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
When marsha goes to angies for bonding, I am going to make a ram for the hutch so that it is 6ftx2x2 on each level. whats the best thing to use and how?

currently they are two seperate hutches but having decided 4 will be my limit (bailey will be getting a housewife) i will not be getting another pair.

Thanks x

Mine had square drain pipe with wooden blocks attached. I've replaced it with a shelf below the hole, they jump on the shelf them pop up through the hole - means you don't waste space under the ramp too.

Tam

Mine had square drain pipe with wooden blocks attached. I've replaced it with a shelf below the hole, they jump on the shelf them pop up through the hole - means you don't waste space under the ramp too.

Tam

Moo is not a good jumper and it would be a case of jumpin 2 foot which she would only do if she binkyed x

Moo is not a good jumper and it would be a case of jumpin 2 foot which she would only do if she binkyed x

Is it a shed? If the hutch sectios are 2' high then the jump would be 1'. You could put two steps in so it's 8" - like steps. A shelf bracket should be enough to support them.

Tam

Is it a shed? If the hutch sectios are 2' high then the jump would be 1'. You could put two steps in so it's 8" - like steps. A shelf bracket should be enough to support them.

Tam

Good idea. Each hutch is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, so i want a ramp for one HUGE hutch.

its for two smallish rabbits (well an extra small minilop and a fairly small lop fingers crossed)

Also, I am best doing this when moo goes for bonding I think because if i do it before, i will have a bigger area to neutralise. I think.

Yep, I'd do it so it's ready for when they go back in. That way it's already neutral. You can do the DIY and then block the hole again though if you want to get ready :)

I find a shelf easier to clean around than a ramp too as it leaves the floor free :)

Yep, I'd do it so it's ready for when they go back in. That way it's already neutral. You can do the DIY and then block the hole again though if you want to get ready :)

I find a shelf easier to clean around than a ramp too as it leaves the floor free :)

shall see what i can do x thanks tam x

Hutch already had a ramp up to second floor but hubby built me and excellent one to go from hutch down into run (hutch is high off ground).

He built it with heavy plywood and I got a dado rail (is that spelt right) from diy shop, cut it into pieces and nailed it on so they have little round steps to climb up. We then covered it all around in wood so its a big tunnel with steps in it.

Here it is - not that you can see the little steps but you can see how steep it is and they manage it no problem.

DSCF0799.jpg

Looks a bit like a coffin - hubby said once he had built it - it serves its purpose and is locked on to hutch and run so it doesn't move.

What about something like this?

000_1899.jpg

They originally had a ramp running all the way down, but wouldn't use it, so I replaced it with this set up.

Back