• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Old man Bagel -u/d now very poorly :(

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
My lovely old boy Bagel is poorly again, its only about a month since we nearly lost him with gut problems.

About 1.5 hours ago I gave them their dinner and Bagel turned his nose up at his pellets (very rare) I tried him with some greens which he ate and some dandelions which he ate too but seemed to lose interest half way through :cry:
Now he has assumed his 'poorly' position hunched up.
So far I have syringed bout 3mls warm water into him, given him 1ml Infacol and some tummy rubs (but his tummy feels normal) and got him to hop round the garden.

Can stasis be at all connected to EC? Bagel has he very slight beginning of a cataract in his left eye (which we had thought due to old age) and his left front leg was quivering this evening. It just all seems to much of a coincidence.

I can sart him on Panacur tomorrow but to be honest I didn't want to stress him out anymore by fiddling tonight.

Poor Bagel :cry:

Last edited:
Bagel is now really quite poorly and I am not sure what to do next.
He had an emergency vets appointment this morning and my vet did not believe it to be stasis - Bagel is still eating small bits of greens and his tummy feels normal.
Bagel had a painkiller, some fluid injected under the skin and a gut stimulant in case.
I have skived off work early just go home and Bagel is just the same. :cry: My vet believed it is heat related and that because his body is so old that it cannot cope with the sudden rise in temp.
Bagel and Bonnie are in a big run on the grass, it is nice and cool in there and yet Bagel has not improved at all :cry:
Any suggestions please, as far as I can see he has not been pooping :cry:

Oh no poor boy. If it is heat related then I guess its important to bring the temperature down slowly. Can you put cold damp towels down for him? and an icecube in the water?

Sending vibes and hope someone can help.

He has frozen bottles of water to lay next to and huge bowls of water round the run to drink.
Strange thing is last night he seemed cold and I put a luke warm snuggle safe in wih him to try to keep his body temp the same and he sat right on it like he needed it to keep him warm :cry:
I just don't know what to do now :cry:

Sadly it sounds like you are doing everything you can for him. The fight needs to come from him. All you can do is keep him comfortable and hope that the weather cools down a little.

His body needs to regulate internally so it really is up to him. I hope the little guy pulls through.

Hi Lucy

I am really sorry to hear about Bagel :cry: If he has not poo'd then he really needs to see the Vet again who may administer more Metoclopromide. He could no doubt do with more subcutaneous fluids too as he will, by now, be absorbing lots of fluid from his guts which will cause any ingesta to dry out and will exacerbate his gut motility problems.

I dont know if the Vet was able to check Bagel's teeth. A second bout of gut problems might indicate a Dental problem. As he is an old man he may now have reduced Kidney/Liver function. Have you noticed any weightloss and/or excessive drinking lately.

I too have had a very, very sick Bun today and this wretched heat does not help one bit. Poor Bagel, I do hope he will rally again

Janex

Thanks Jane,

No he has not been drinking more lately in fact as a pair him and Bonnie do not drink a great deal even though they use a bowl.

My vet is ringing me shortly to see how he is and will administer more drugs if needed.

He has eaten some grass and some greens and is drinking by himself from his bowl but no poop :cry: He doesn't seem like he did last time - I could tell then he was in a lot of pain. This time he just seems lethargic and like he can't be bothered.

:cry:

I hope Bagel feels better soon, I think the weather is cooling down by the end of the week so hopefully that will help him.

Bagel hs started to show more interest in his food. My vet suggested to make him a smoothie of some tasty bits and bobs to try and give him some energy. He had his last jab at about 12 so my vet is coming first thing in the morning to see him again.
I hope he is ok poor Bagel.

Lots of get well vibes for Bagel. Has he had his molars checked? He may have some dental pain which is causing him to go off his food and slowing his tum down. When my bun has dental probs he goes off his pellets but will nibble spring greens. When my buns are poorly and not up to eating much they will eat the herbal mixes from Rosewood products. Mine love the Herbal Garden variety best. You can buy it from Pets at Home stores or The Hay Experts. Perhaps Bagel may be tempted to eat some.

Sending lots of love to you and Bagel.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Thank you for all your replies.
Bagel had another appointment today and has been dosed up again with more painkiller and gut stimulant.
His poos have had lots of hair in and are all strung together, but he is not moulting and is not that hairy!? He has a good diet normally and is a good hay eater.
He had his teeth checked a little while ago and they were fine then, maybe we should get them checked again.
He is still quiet but started to eat some hay this evening and I have another painkiller jab to give him at 10pm.

Poor Bagel, sounds like you are doing the right thing.

One of mine was like this at Christmas and we were told the likely suspect was hair. We too were surprised by this as she and her hubby were not moulting.

Try to encourage him to take in more fluids to help things pass through, if he likes pineapple you could try to give him a couple of syringes of fresh juice. The enzyme is supposed to help breakdown hair.

I hope he feels better soon.

Just given Bagel his jab and he is now munching hay :D
He had a few sticky poos which we have picked off his behind due to him only consuming greens and grass since sunday. It is not runny just a bit sticky, so what do you guys think? Just cut down on the green stuff now that he is eating hay? I don't want him to get dehydrated but nor do I wan him to have a sticky bum in the warm weather....he has had plenty of sub cut fluids and is also drinking independently.

The reason the hair has begun to accumulate into clumps is because his gut has slowed down. Usually it would just pass straight through. The enzyme in pineapple is supposed to breakdown the mucus that binds hair into a trichobezoar rather than the hair itself.

There is no proof this is the case.

Sending (((vibes))) x

Last edited:
Oh Lucy, sending loads of vibes for Bagel, it sounds like you are doing everything you can for him, I agree with the pineapple juice it always works with ny bunnies

Hope you are OK, sending hugs to you and Grant xx

Back