• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

white rabbits & sunburn

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
I have heard stories of white cats getting tumours or skin cancer on their ears because of sun burn, is it as much of a risk with white rabbits also?

:wave:
hi im not really sure but if white cats and dogs get that then there is probably a high chance of rabbits aswell.
why dont you ask a vet?
i hope i helped a bit
sorry if not

That's what I'd like to know too. :roll:
Just recently got me a REW rex (with got meaning: Aroma got it, its her baby) so I'm curious...I wouldn't want Rufus to get hurt, especially since he's got shorter fur than most other rabbits too being a rex.

I asked my vet a few years ago (back when I had a REW bun) and he said he'd never seen a skin cancer on a white rabbit. I wonder if most rabbits don't live enough years for sun-induced skin cancers to take hold?

Our white cat had tumours on her ears at the top where there is very little hair and a lot of pink skin. She loved the sun so would always be lying it. If the ears are pretty well haired they might be okay but I would keep an eye out for any flakiness on the skin and any random scabbing and at the first sign take action.

ETA she was probably in her mid teens when this happened and she lived until she was 21 once the ear tips were removed

Not sure about rabbits but i have 2 white persians & i put sun cream on there ears. I always use factor 30 0r higher.My o/h finds it hilarious that i sit and put sun cream on kids then cats before they can go out in sun :oops:

I don't think rabbits tend to sunbathe as much as cats, and most rabbits tend to "sleep" during the middle (hottest) part of the day.

I think if you have a white rabbit that loves to sit in the sun, I'd use a high protection lotion on their ears, but you'd have to be careful because of them ingesting it.

I should think a childs one would be safest, and has probably been tested on some poor buns:evil:

I've seen a few cases of white cats with melanomas from sunburnt ears.

My springer gets sunburn on his nose if I don't put sunblock on it, especially if he's in and out of the water, which being a spring he is at every opportunity. I think its not just that the skin is pink in that area but his fur is fairly thin there too, he certainly doesn't have the same problem on any other white areas and I'm sure that because of his coat.

I use sunblock (water resistant!) for kids and he's never had a bad reaction to it and it stops his poor nose getting burn and blistered, I just make sure that its rubbed in really well - which he loves. Just keep an eye on the bunny's ears and if they seem to be getting too red or sore then I'd give the sunblock a go - if they've got plenty of shade as well you'd hope that they'd be sensible and sit out of the sun when its at its hottest?
:wave:

I've asked on a breeder forum and has of yet not gotten any messages that white rabbits can get sunburn, but rather that all rabbits should have a chance to get out of the sunlight if they want to, regardless of color, and I must say mine seem to prefer to sit in the shade on hot summers day. Some sunlight is good for them though:D

Yes I suppose if it was common or has happened before we would have heard of it. I've seen tumours on cats ears on various animal programs, it was on Animal 24/7 the other week which was why I asked.

My PEW Rosie loves to sit outside in all weathers, they are always in the shade but when I'm at work and the sun moves round its difficult! :roll: :lol:

Thanks all :)

Yes I suppose if it was common or has happened before we would have heard of it. I've seen tumours on cats ears on various animal programs, it was on Animal 24/7 the other week which was why I asked.

My PEW Rosie loves to sit outside in all weathers, they are always in the shade but when I'm at work and the sun moves round its difficult! :roll: :lol:

Thanks all :)

I had a square-shaped run with a table-board on the middle:lol: So if the sun moved it moved around in the run:D

Back