• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

taking bunnys for walks

teresa1982

New Kit
Hi anyone here ever take their bunnies for walks on a harness and lead, my boyfriend takes his ferrets and its cooil, i hav a lead and wondered about taking my bunnie for a walk the same.
would it be ok, i man i cud carry him to the park or fields.
anyone ever done this and been ok

hi ive put mine on a harness and lead whilst nipping outside to check how my bf is getting on in the garage which usually ends up in a bit of a walk lol as i live on a caravan site its very friendly and no chance he will get hit by a car. i think the main things to check are that where your walking should be ok for him i.e theres no broken glass etc, that he's vaccinated so wont pick anything nasty up from fields or grass where wild animals and birds have been, make sure the harness is on ok that its not too loose as he might get scared and bolt and land up hurting itself and that its not too tight and restraining, make sure you keep an eye on what bushes it decides to nibble on. i think thats pretty much it really :D

I'd be careful of dogs too, if you were planning to take the rabbit to fields/parks... Because dogs are often running loose in these places, and might rush towards your rabbit... Whether they'd be attempting to harm it or just scaring it, it might be a bit much for the bunny...

I would advise NEVER to take your rabbit outside of your garden..even on a harness.
They can easily slip out of harnesses...can pick up all sorts of diseases...could eat something poisonous ...
and could be attacked by a dog before you are able to grab them up safely..

on the whole not a good idea....

Its also known for rabbit to injure themselves on a harness because as prey animals they tend to be very flighty when startled.

I have harnesses on my rabbits, but I rarely take them out of the garden.
Zakura tried leaving the garden once while on her harness (with me following) she walked a few meters onto the road (not a high-traffic road, the only ones driving there are pretty much my neighbors...meaning like 6 cars or so) before swiftly turning around and running back:roll:

We don't have any parks where I live... so I wouldn't know about that. My only options are pretty much; my garden, someone else's garden (wonder how popular that would get?:lol:) or the forest (took Zakura there once, she wasn't that interested...as for wildlife...well its very close to people so there's hardly any wildlife to see... though we have moose coming into the neighborhood occasionally, even in our garden, and my neighbors once spotted a hare trying to steal their strawberries:lol:)

Just a very important rule for rabbits on harnesses:
NEVER leave them unattended. My biggest fear is that they get their feet tangled in the lead, its happened to mine once or twice and they panic when the lead starts to tighten around their leg:cry: So now whenever the lead starts moving underneath their feet (rather than on their back) I try to stop the rabbit or put the lead on the ground so they can jump over it themselves:)

I took milla for a walk today (well she took me for a walk..), it was her first time on a harness and she was very good. But they have to get used to it, especially the feeling of the harness tightening round them when we want them to stop, and having people walk behind them all the time. So I'm not taking her out for long periods of time, and I never take them inside when they're scared. I want them to leave with a positive feeling towards the big outside. If I had a garden I would rather let them loose there :)

hmmm i guess it all depends on where you live. as i said earlier i live on a caravan site so its paractically empty during the week, also its so quiet and theres a patch of grass next to our chalet that i kinda count as our 3rd garden hehehehe :lol: gumpy loves being in his harness because it lets him run about in a free open space and he especially loves being allowed to explore as he is very nosy and inquisitive :lol:

I think it depends on the rabbit. My first rabbit that I had was my baby. I used to live very near a beach and I would take biscute there. She loved it! I would carry her when dogs were around and find a quiet spot and she would have a wonder round. She used to go loads of places with me. When me and my friends would go to the beach later on when it was quiet she would come along sometimes. I took her to my friends house once which was a 15 min walk. She was like a dog really. I used to get stopped all the time. It didn't harm her in any way, if anything she loved it and was very happy out and about. I wouldn't do this with my current buns though as I don't think they would appreciate it.

Rabbits don't like being out in the open during daylight, it would probably be very stresful.

Whatever you do don't take them out at the same time as the ferrets, ferrets kill rabbits.

Rabbits don't like being out in the open during daylight, it would probably be very stresful.

Whatever you do don't take them out at the same time as the ferrets, ferrets kill rabbits.

Oh?
Then can you explain why my rabbits always sit out in the open in their run? Regardless if its rain or sun (sure if its very hot they sometimes look for shade but yet)
They have hutches, but I rarely ever see them in there, if not for eating. :roll:

I would say no, it isn't wise or a safe idea. Fine if you want to try a harness in your garden but I would never risk taking the bunnies outside the garden.

Lian x

Oh?
Then can you explain why my rabbits always sit out in the open in their run? Regardless if its rain or sun (sure if its very hot they sometimes look for shade but yet)
They have hutches, but I rarely ever see them in there, if not for eating. :roll:

Rabbits are naturally agorophobic.

They need the safety of bolt holes when out in the open and to know where those bolt holes are for when they take flight, which is why they are much better in a familiar area.

On a leash however they are restrained from seeking shelter which can be very stressful for some.

I am going to be careful what I say as I don't want to offend anybody, but personally (me, myself and I) I wouldn't attempt putting a rabbit on a "lead".
I have seen them for cats, rabbits and indeed hamsters :)shock:) but I am of the opinion that certain animals are more accepting of such confinement than others.

I would agree that it depends on individual animals in all categories (I have read of a cat for example that goes get his lead for a walk) but prey animals are naturally wary and I would think putting any form of harness on them would take some doing!:?

I am also thinking that prey animals (because of their wary nature and tendency to "bolt") could indeed hurt themselves should they panic whilst in such creations...

I would be inclined not to take any rabbit (lead or no lead) to a public place. Though I think the idea of "taking them for a walk" is all very nice, I would be mighty wary that they may panic and get hurt/slip the thing and run!:shock: I would also suggest that within places such as parks dogs are common place. No matter how careful YOU are you have no control over the actions of others. Many owners take their dogs off the lead in such places and curious dog + scared rabbit do not make for a good mix...Yes, you could pick him/her up, but it only takes for a larger breed of dog with intent to "go check out your furry bundle" and it could turn into the trip from hell!:(

I would, as a result, advise against this ponder.

All the best!!

TP;)

Well, there's been some great advice here and everyone's said pretty much everything I was going to say. I've had my Benjamin on a lead a few times, but only in the garden and I got an extendable dog lead to attach to it.

He hated having it put on then sat in a mood with me until I moved him and took him outside. I've not used a harness for ages and I don't intend to use them again, I've thrown them out.

Rabbits can escape from them, bolt and hurt themselves and can cause injuries to themselves whilst in them. They can't hid away whilst on a lead and feel controlled.

You also can't walk a rabbit, you can't lead them along. They have to go their own way and they walk you. Parks are definitely a no go area. Dogs, diseases, poisonous plants, other animal excretion, birds and the rabbit will feel extremely scared in a new environment as open as a park with different sounds and lots of people and other animals.

If you have a secure garden, with no gaps for the rabbit to escape then you can let your rabbit roam the garden (you still need to watch at all times as rabbits can quickly dig, chew their way out of places.. there's also the risk of large birds, cats or foxes etc).

I think the best option for taking your rabbits outside is a secure, large run. But still watch, as they could dig their way out.

Please, do not put rabbits anywhere near ferrets.

I used to take saffy round the garden when she was younger and she enjoyed it, When i tried Joey on it insde he wasnt keen so i didnt attempt it again. Saffy is abit older now and she adores joey, ive bought a huge run and i wouldnt want to take her far from joey there is no point now.

I agree with sooz ect do not take them out of the garden even the most confident happy buns on the lead will panic if they hear/see something and its just not worth it, too much stress for you and the bun!

Back