• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please help??? what wood is suitable for a outdoor rabbit hutch

hello,
please help!
i want to make my rabbit a hutch which will be outside
i need to know:
what wood will be suitable
if any woods are toxic to rabbits
will in need a frame
what wood can i use as a frame
if i use tongue and groove wood would i need a frame
what size mesh for the front door part as i want a wood hutch and not all wire cage: eg . 2x2 cm 4x2 cm
what type of mesh : eg . chicken wire
thank you for your help
tyler

rabbit hutch

Hi Tyler

Thats a lot of questions.....send an e-mail to rspcarabbits.co.uk and I will by return send you some pictures and sketches of what we suggest you consider building.

But briefly we recommend 3/4 weather resistant plywood, 1inch welded mesh for all mesh and a total area your bunnies need to have access to of 50 square feet minimum for two small to medium buns of up to 2kg each. This area can be made up of hutch + attached run in your case

If you use tongue and groove you will definately need a frame. I'm not too sure about tongue and groove however as it exposes more areas for the rabbits to gnaw at and escape.

All the DIY shops sell Exterior Plywood and this is what I would use. Wickes sell battons of pre-treated extorior would that you cal use as a frame. As mentioned above you should consider the proportions, but they sell the exterior plywood in standard sizes and you should be able to use a lot of the pieces without having to cut them.

Do not use MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard), Chipboard or Chicken Wire. These are not suitable and will cause you problems.

Back