• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits travelling?

jenzel5

Mama Doe
I currently live 1hr 30mins from my family. They want me 2 go down and see them as the last time I went down was xmas and that was only for 1 night. Anyways, I was wondering if it would be ok for the rabbits to travel there and back in the space of a day or 2 or would this be too stressful? My mum really wants to spend some time with them and I couldn't leave them on their own so feeling a bit stuck.

:wave: i have taken some bunnies to my mums who live 4.5 hour drive away. i just makesure they have shade and water and some food and a bit of fresh air. sophie-loo loved it. just stopped half way to check. usally have them in a big pet carrier and strap them in the back seat so they dont move around. all have been fine.;)

Some bunnies are happy travellers, some arent. Do you know if yours are OK in the car or not?

Mine is not a happy traveller, unfortunately, but I have regularly taken him for weekends at my mother's (four hours away). He hates the journey but recovers quickly when we are and has a great time whilst we are there.

I always take water and food on the journey, and put some hay in with him, though generally he ignores it all. He goes in a pet carrier, strapped into the front seat, with a rug over the top (he prefers it dark and it keeps out draughts from the open window). On very hot days, when opening the window isnt enough, I put the air con on.

I think they are ok travelling. They travelled from birmingham to yorkshire without any problems but got very nervous when I put them in a cage to take them to the vets (well Hayden was the worst). Its just that when I took them for their first check up I asked the vet about them travelling and they said they wouldn't recommend it due to the amount of stress they have already been through but I think this was just when I 1st got them and they had travelled over 4 hours in the space of a few weeks. What do you think? I think I might get a vet to check them over before I go??? I think part of it at 1st was because they were nervous at the vets too and wouldn't stay still so he said they looked like nervous rabbits but we have gotten to know eachother so much better now and think they are better wih trust and nerves. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
Alvin has travelled on a 7 hour journey from birmingham to edinburgh without any problems. he seems to cope with the journey brilliantly after the first 20 mins or so :)

Back