• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Change of vets.

Rose

Mama Doe
Ive previously a vets which is 10 miles away which was cheapest for jacks neutering etc but have always had to the get the bus etc. Theres a vets just up the road that would be more convenient for vaccinations etc.Do you think it'll will be ok to use them instead of the vets i'm registered with. It also mean that i can get checks ups and vaccinations done sooner rather later.

Last edited:
I don't see why you shouldn't change if you are happy that the new vets know all about rabbits. There are a very large number of vets who don't have a clue when it comes to rabbits. The problem is that they don't necessarily see many if people in their area don't bother to go for vaccinations or when a bunny gets ill or needs a neutering. If they don't get much experience, their knowledge remains limited.

You need to be sure that these new vets would know what to do in an emergency e.g. gut stasis.

Ask them what their experience is, how often they see rabbits, what their treatment plan would be for a case of GI stasis, and ask how many neuters they perform maybe (give you an idea of the numbers in the area being seen).

Rabbits are treated as exotics and as you know aren't straight forward so I would get all the info and make a decision based on the answers to your questions.

Our bunny vet quite often has a whole day of doing bunny work - spays, dentals, vaccinations etc This is because he has such a large number of rabbits on it's books. That's the sort of practice I would always go for.

Good luck:)

It will probably work out cheaper for you also if you have to pay bus fares to get to your vets, it is always good to have a nearby vets in case of emergencies:)

I'm happy with my current vet i just wish it was closer. Ih wasn't that bad when Jack got neutered because he stayed their during the day and i picked him up after college. But its not going to work with vaccinations and emergencies etc. I'm going to see how much they charge for vaccinations, when i phoned around before getting jack neutered they said 60 pounds which is much more then i paid at the current vets. Also when i start work it will be much easier with the vets up the road.

I changed vets from the very handy village one to the more expensive, further away rabbit savvy one and am convinced that at least one of the buns would no longer be with us had I not made the switch.

Rabbit knowledge is the over-riding factor for me.

Back