• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

keeping bottom clean? HELP

AngelAnn

Young Bun
I have 4 rabbits 3 of which are lionheads and I struggle daily trying to keep their bottom clean as they are so very furry their pooh gets stuck and is impossible to remove without cutting which I hate doing as I've accidentally nicked their skin once or twice. I'm really hoping for a little advice from anyone who has the same problem. I asked the vet last time we went for our jabs and she suggested coating the area in vaseline but that just attracted more dust and litter from their tray and made it even worse.
Help please? greatfully accepted

You are possibly feeding to much that it is causeing soft poo's (can't spell the proper name :roll:) and that is what is getting stuck on the fur try cutting down the amount of pellets that you feed and it shuld help.

I have a lion head but she seems to be able to keep herself clean however I have only had her a month or so and she have quite a delicate tummy, I give mine rabbit mix from a local store, two small handfuls in the morning and another at night, she has hay but does not seem to eat much during the day, and she has grass and the occasional dandelion,goose grass and a few leaves of herbs....if I give her spring greens she produces to many big wet poohs which she tends to sit in over night, I use wet wipes to clean her fur and make sure she is dry before she goes in her run every morning. hopefully someone here will have more experience with dirty bottoms than me! :wave:

hiya we have a lionhead called molly, she gets into a terrible mess more often than not, she has arthritis in both her back legs which makes it even worse. i couldnt do it but my other half is a dab hand (8yrs practice with her). he lies her on her back resting between his legs, and trims her bum (we use like nursin scissors with the blunt end). shes good as gold for him, but as i say i would be rubbish at it. the other thing i do if hes away for a few weeks, il take her to the vets and book her a nurse appt and they will do it. last time i paid i think it was bout£15, but that can add up.
x

Hi, When Brambles had a dirty bum, he was being fed soaked food and no hay as he had no teeth, the vet told me to clean him with a very mild solution of hibiscrub every day and I also have a packet of non fragrance baby wipes always to hand, hope this helps :)

Back