• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

maggots in the run

touie

Wise Old Thumper
:shock::evil: I have found maggots in caramels run, she keeps weeing on the floor and not in her litter tray and there are actually maggots between the paving slabs, I have been digging down between the slabs but i keep seeing more, what can I do to get rid of them? :evil: I'm thinking of tipping vinegar in the gap, do you think that will help?

Think I'm going to ask the vet for some rear guard tomorrow too, just in case :shock:

Move rabbits out of the way and then boil a kettle and tip the boiling water between slabs..that will get rid

thanks. I feel mean about the poor worms though, I tipped vinegar on and all that came up were worms :(

Are your bunnies okay?

Definitely pour boiling water over the maggots, then give the whole thing a really good scrub. Have you got fly screen you can put on the run?
I get really paranoid when I see flies about.

I think salt helps too, I think it burns their skin or something. I hate flies and things, I saw 2 in my room the other day so the whole room had a massive clean, I'd hate one of mine to get fly strike.

I think salt helps too, I think it burns their skin or something. I hate flies and things, I saw 2 in my room the other day so the whole room had a massive clean, I'd hate one of mine to get fly strike.

Salt will kill soft skinned insectey bug things..but do not put down where rabbits are..salt will also kill plants if too much gets into your soil

Jeyes FLuid!! Dilute with hot water and wash the area down, leave to dry before putting buns anywhere near though. Jeyes kills germs and maggots dead, and chases flies away because they hate the smell so much. I use it on soil the buns have wee'd on in the garden too so the smell goes.

one of those gas weed kiler wands on patio slabs..mmm toasted maggots....bleuch.

this time of year is nasty..i hate bloomin flies and maggots and mine only exercise in the garden well will again as soon as my fences finished!

got any hibiscrub?

boiling water two or three kettlefuls..then boiling water and hibiscrub....or the disinfectants like ..omg cant rember names! you know the bun ones.....

maybe pop her tray on some waterproofing or on top of wee wee pads for dogs..ive run out but bertie needs em for his tray in my lounge!

nasty job...ewwww good luck!

thanks think I've got it done. Where do you get Jeyes fluid from, I haven't heard of it?

It's annoying the particular place that she has started weeing is at the bottom of her ladder and in a place awkward enough not to be able to fit a litter tray on it :(

Caramel is fine though, nice clean fluffy bum :D

The problem with jeynes fluid is that it will also kill the worm population as I found out a few weeks back. It is terrible the poor things rise to the top and the small patch I treated had about 20 that came to the top and died.

I think the boiling water is the best thing as it will kill the larva as well. I hate using chemicals.

The problem with jeynes fluid is that it will also kill the worm population as I found out a few weeks back. It is terrible the poor things rise to the top and the small patch I treated had about 20 that came to the top and died.

I think the boiling water is the best thing as it will kill the larva as well. I hate using chemicals.

I felt really bad too, so every one that came to the surface I dumped into a bucket of fresh water for a few minutes to flush it out, then put it in another part of the garden and they were fine. :)

You can get Jeyes from hardwear shops, little cheap shops and sometimes places like b&q or robert dyas. use very dilute though. I love the smell!

I dont use use any chemicals usually except that because I can't stand flies near my bunnies. Last summer I found a bunch of tiny maggots had hatched by the water and food bowls in the kitchen. (eugrgh!) usually a live and let live kind of person, I went into this crazy killing sterilising frenzy and even pulled up the lino tiles to make sure I got every single one!! :oops:

Back