• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming - how to?

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Excuse my ignorance but I've not had a rabbit since I was 4 and have no idea on worming. I was given a syringe of Panacur by the vet and told to give 1/2 measured dose each day. Fine. The vet showed me how to twist the thing to show 1/2 increments and gave the first one to Smudge (Who didn't like having his mouth opened!) The vet said "The next day (today) you need to twist it up to here, the next day to here and so on." Fine. But as I went to use it today I noticed that the twisty increment thing had gone back to the base. So do I just start from the beginning and twist to 1/2 or do I twist up to 1 know he has had the first 1/2 yesterday? Hope this makes sense.

Hi there,
After giving the right amount (and well done on doing that - Herbie is a monster) the 'twisty increment thing' should be at the base. As you push the plunger down the twisty thing or collar acts as a stop to ensure the correct dose is given. So for todays dose just wind the collar back up the scale to the dosage that you need. The syringes have been changed since I last used Panacur and it took me a while to work it out!
I hope this makes sense!
Vanessa xx

hiya:wave:i have found the least stressful way to give it to my buns is by slightly hollwing out a grape and injecting it into it.they fall for it every time:lol:

Cool! Thanks for the replies! I will try the grape thing. Vanessa, So, yesterday the marker was on 1/2. Today it will be on 1 and tomrrow 1 1/2 is that correct. Or do I just wind it to 1/2 every day?

Hi again.
You will just be winding the collar back by half a mark each day for your bunny. Hope this makes sense, it's difficult to explain with words alone :(
Good luck, our bunnies get wise to it after a couple of days. I wasted half a syringe on Herbie trying to find a food he would take it in, but there was no fooling Mr Herbie.
Vanessa xx

alfie - in jam, yes. finely diced carrot no.
marble - in jam, no, cabbage, no, finely diced carrot - yes!
fussy little devils arent they?!

Excuse my ignorance but I've not had a rabbit since I was 4 and have no idea on worming. I was given a syringe of Panacur by the vet and told to give 1/2 measured dose each day. Fine. The vet showed me how to twist the thing to show 1/2 increments and gave the first one to Smudge (Who didn't like having his mouth opened!) The vet said "The next day (today) you need to twist it up to here, the next day to here and so on." Fine. But as I went to use it today I noticed that the twisty increment thing had gone back to the base. So do I just start from the beginning and twist to 1/2 or do I twist up to 1 know he has had the first 1/2 yesterday? Hope this makes sense.
Hi,:wave:
Sorry to highjack this thread. I have 2 @ 10 week old Doe rabbits. Am i supposed to be worming them? I got them from a pet shop so I don`t know what has been done:?:?

I'm not too impressed with the syringe the Panacur comes in - I like to know that the dose is accurate and I just don't trust their syringe.
I use a tiny syringe and squirt the Panacur directly into it so I can see what I'm giving.
I can normally hide day one and day two doses in food, but by day three they're all wise to it so we end the day with a wrestling match and a syringe:lol:

Cyberdog - it's now considered good practice to routinely worm your rabbits every 6 months using Panacur, not only against worms but also EC which can be passed to babies from their mothers infected urine and can cause a host of health problems.
For a small/medium sized rabbit you're looking at a cost of approx £2 per rabbit bi-annually (based on a 2.5kg bunny using half of one syringe)
http://www.wormers.co.uk/acatalog/Rabbits___Furry_Pets.html#aPAN052

Cyberdog - it's now considered good practice to routinely worm your rabbits every 6 months using Panacur, not only against worms but also EC which can be passed to babies from their mothers infected urine and can cause a host of health problems.
For a small/medium sized rabbit you're looking at a cost of approx £2 per rabbit bi-annually (based on a 2.5kg bunny using half of one syringe)

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. What age should the rabbit be before you start treatment:?

Eeerrrmm.....not 100% on the age as all mine were adult.... I'll try and find out unless someone else has a definate answer...
I'm guessing it's fine after they've been weaned though...

ETA every site I've looked at omits an age! Best give your vet a quick call to confirm age if no one else posts...

Last edited:
There is no lower age limit on Panacur. The manufacturers have used it on 3 day old babies without problems.

I'm not too impressed with the syringe the Panacur comes in - I like to know that the dose is accurate and I just don't trust their syringe.
I use a tiny syringe and squirt the Panacur directly into it so I can see what I'm giving.
I can normally hide day one and day two doses in food, but by day three they're all wise to it so we end the day with a wrestling match and a syringe:lol:

Thanks for the link.

Back