• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help my Dutch is turning brown!

ulsterchick

Young Bun
Hi
Looking for some advice, I have a 5 year old black and white Dutch rabbit called Boots. Over the past few days he has started to dark brown on his face. Nothing has changed in his diet or care. Is this something to be worried about? He is still as happy as ever and eating just as much!
I have 9 other rabbits and nothing like this has happened to me before!

Thanks in advance

Clare

It's quite common for black bunnies to go a beautiful rusty coloured dark brown. I think it's the sun bleaching their coat. Has your bun been sunbathing?

It's not anything to worry about :) It will go back to black on the next moult :D

Hi
Thanks for all the quick responses! Boots loves to sunbathe! I hope this is the answer. I just cant work out why now? As I said on the original post he is 5. He has loved the sun sun I got him. Isnt life strange :)

Thanks

Clare

The colour black is either made up of blue pigment or brown. When the sun shines you see a different dimension to the colour, also with the sun you will notice that the brown will come through in the summer and recede back to Black in the winter months.

Its nothing to worry about. Arthur my black bun has brown stripes at the moment :lol:

Back