• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Behavioural Problem

Amy104

Warren Veteran
My Doe Willow is causing me a lot of grief at present. She seems really frustrated when out in her run, she throws everything about, chews the bars, and digs endlessly. More importantly she has developed a mortal fear of being picked up. I am covered in scratches which I don't really mind but I am starting to get frightened of picking her up incase I drop her when she struggles (she's quite a big bun and hard to keep hold of). My vet spayed her at 5 months which was only two weeks ago. I know it takes a while for hormones to disapate but any advise would be greatly appreciated. I have bopught some Seren-Um. Anyone used it? If so does it work? Hows the best way to administer, I can't pour on food as she's bonded.

maybe as she's just recovering from major traumatic surgery, she's lost her trust in people temporarily - in any case even neutered rabbits don't like being picked up, so that's quite normal - would be preferable if you could get her to hop into a cat carrier for a slice of carrot or something like that to transport her?

how big is her run? if it's just 3x6 (normal size) she maybe just wants to be at 'home' during the middle part of the day? - how long does she have to spend in the run? Mine all seem to like being in their hutch/shed from about 11am to 3pm - they just snooze and eat poops or a bit of hay mostly.

they are maybe getting a bit hot and bothered with this weather too - it's a bit much considering how cold it was just last week :)

Does she have a shelter in her run. If it's not attached to a hutch then a run is quite open and most rabbits will relax more if they have somewhere to hide, even if they just sit on top most of the time.

What does she have in her run? If she's frustrated then it maybe she just needs more 'things to do'. If she's digging your lawn then try a digging box filled with suitable material. Toys she can throw. A cardboard box to remodel, things to jump on off etc. may help.

Bar chewing is pretty typical behaviour of a bun that is bored. It can be difficult to continually come up with new stimulating activities though :?

perhaps its cos her names wilow..my willows been a moo too and shes a free range house frenchie:shock::lol:
seriously tho..i agree theheat is doing terrible things even to my house buns...shade and lots of it..frozen water bottles or a scratch and newton ice pod......towel or shep as a shade too and put the run int he shade out of the sun or keep her in till the sun goes round.

they never forget surgery or injury or pain.....

willow who pulled her nail out from the bed once tried climbing the stairs as she does every night/early hours morning..but she relaised that was painful..her toe has recovered ages ago now but she rembers the pain and goes nuts..avoiding the stairs but leaps up on the furniture fine.
theres a term for it but i forget.

i suggest taking her to the vets in case its physical..then you can work on the mental if its nothing physical...stimulation stimulation stimulation....

more playtime please..or company of another bun or hows about borrowing my salem..he has grown up with our willow and the dumb cat thinks of her as a sibling:shock: mind you she feels the same about him and his sister zuzu!!

willow boys seem to be ok....its willow does that are nuts:lol:

The run is one of though octopen (the eight sided one) from zooplus so quite big. She has a shelter, a tunnel, a ball and dumbell to thow, a dog bed full of hay and some froozen bottles. She still runs to me when I'm near for a stroke so she's not frightened of me. Fourtunately she isn't on the grass so she can't escape. She's in in from seven till seven on week days. Maybe ten till seven on weekends. I have just bought a new run to attach to her hutch so she can come and go as she pleases. See if this helps her settle.

:wave: yes have used the serum, does work, i have put it in the water, so as not to stress bun out. also have used resue remedy spray, as can spray on the skin.

It may just be that she's a particularly bright bunny and needs more activities. Try varying the toys/moving things around. Attaching a run to her hutch might help to. It could be she's wanting out back to her hutch on her terms.

Tamsin

She's definately bright. She only chews the door and the end of the run she has seen me lift to move the shelter in and out for cleaning! She seems much more settled in her new run and have picked her up for her daily cuddle with no probs.

Back