• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think about this?

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
This may sound completely ubsurd, but I thought it was worth posting. I don't think there's anything like this already, here it goes -

You know we have things that make water taste more exciting? Like Robinsons, squash, etc.. What do you think about there being something like that for buns? Not as a replacement for water, but in addition to.

I don't know, I thought it sounded pretty cool as long as they made sure it was safe for rabbit consumption.

What do you think? Completely stupid?

Rabbits are not like humans - they don't get bored of food and tastes like we do :rolleyes: :lol:

Water is the most natural thing for them to drink (and us too!). There are probiotics you can put in water and a splash of apple or pineapple juice will help and bun reluctant to drink.

Other than that I'd just stick to good old fashioned natural water! ;)

I know some people put vitamin c (melting ones) into the guinea pigs water because they don't produce it, i don't i just make sure they get enough fruit and veg.Don' take this the wrong way but they eat the likes of melon which is water more or less so they can have the choice of plain water or the melon.Maybe as a wee treat now and again but i'd be kinda wary all the time.:)

I think its a good idea. I was thinking the same. If I drank water all the time, I would get bored.

I am not sure if there is anything else that buns can drink??
Jack x

Oh, I know that they don't get bored of taste like we do, I was just curious is all. I knew it would sound ubsurd, I was just interested :p Edit - That is a point, as far as I know rabbits can only drink water, is there anything else they can drink?

Pets at home sell a carrot tasting mix you can add to their water though I've never tried it. Can't imagine its very healthy?

For anyone with guinea's its a waste of time adding vitamin c to water as they don't drink it quick enough and vit c deteriorates in water.

haha bunnies dont get bored of water!

You can however buy carrot juice to put in the water from pets@home :D or probiotic, they love that in the water

i bought a probiotic after alvins stasis.. after a day of not drinking i decided it was safer to stick to just water :shock::shock:

You can add a little unsweetened apple juice to encourage them to drink a bit more.

I would assume carrot juice and fruit juice (with no sugar or bad stuff added) would be okay, since they eat carrots and fruits anyway...
I never add anything to my rabbits' water, but sometimes in the summer I give them fruit-ice:lol: Pretty much frozen water with bits of apple in:roll: I don't think they ever ate the apples:lol: Tried with some wild plants too but failed...dandelions made the water black:roll:
Zakura_with_Ice_cream_by_Usagi_Zakura.jpg

Here's Zakura with some of her frozen apples:roll:

I think it's vital to bunny health to have a good water intake, so if something was relatively harmless and encouraged them to drink more, I'd use it - although so far I've found a splash of boiling water, and served in a dish not a bottle, encourages mine to drink LOTS more than if it's just cold or in a bottle :)

Jesse doesn't drink very much water, I have sometimes given her other things to drink, like fruit smoothies (only a tiny bit) or she'll have a bit of juice a couple of times a week. Sometimes she seems to go a whole day without drinking and she's always running around loads. The other 2 are constantly drinking though!

Stick with good old water. I myself have always drunk gallons of tap water and I've never tired of it. Its the one drink where I felt my thirst is truly quenched. Most things for rabbits which give water flavour are remedies. I've read cold camomile tea will cure diarrheoa however be careful with that becuase I suspect too much will cause constiptation. Water is always the safest option.
In winter I give the bunnies warm water and my little runt who has had chronic digestive problems all her life gets warm water with a sprinkle of sugar every day to help her poo. I wouldn't give this to ordainary bunnies though becuase it may rot their teeth and is entirely unnecessary anyway.
Oh and in summer they get icecubes in their water but other than that water is usually the best thing to give.

Be careful adding anything to water in this weather, particularly fruit based, incase it starts to ferment or produce/encourage bacteria.

Probiotics seem to encourage an algae to develop in the bottles in heat/sunlight.

Rabbits drink when they are thirsty, if they dont they either dont need the water or there is a reason they are finding it difficult to drink.

Last edited:
i only ever use drops of carrot juice (from P@H) when i'm trying to get the buns to drink their probiotics before and after an op.

Other than that I just give them water :D

Back