• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you tell if a bun is blind?

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
It may seem like an obvious question, but what are the tell tale signs that a bun may be blind? I know that my two rely mostly on smell and sound, I'm just curious.

Thanks.

If completely blind they wont respond to a reflex test. i.e. putting something very close to their eye should make them blink or not react to a light. Your vet should be able to do these tests for you. We have a short sighted bun and those are the tests the vet did.

They may also scan. (Move their head from side to side).

Billy was born with cateracts but the vet did some tests and we found out his eyes respond to bright lights but not small things close to his eyes.

Timmy is blind you can see his eye is a white colour and he doesn't respond to the vet tests.

CIMG9653.jpg

When my rabbit went blind before I took her for the tests at the vets I knew she was as she would walk into things and wouldn't react if you waved things at her so when the vets tested her and said she was blind and said I thought so. what amazed me was then the vet said would you like me to put her to sleep now I said no way didn't matter to me that she was blind not at all. she got on fine hopping happily round the house just had to be careful not to move things and put new things down.

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering what quality of life a Rabbit has when its blind? By the sounds of it, pretty good since they are able to get round by using their smell & hearing.

Thanks
Rob

I can only speak from the limited amount of experience I have had with Timmy but he's a very happy bunny. He benefits from consistancy, ie water and food in the same place, we don't move things around so he knows where everything is and we always make sure we talk to him as we approach him so he doesn't get startled and he responds like any other bunny bounding over to the gate to see you :D

When in a new place he tends to stick to perimiters but he loves exploring and investigating and nothing is unworthy of a good chin! :D

Thanks for that, sounds like Timmy is perfectly happy. :D

It's normally my wife, Helen (rosie_rabbit) who posts on this forum, its our rabbit Rosie who has been blind in one eye for 2 years, who seems to be acting as if her other eye has lost most of it's sight. To complicate things, her hearing isn't particularly good either.:cry: but all in all, she still seems to move about okay, maybe not as quickly....

Billy scans, does that mean hes short sighted as opposed to blind?......he is easily startled ,very skitty.....he does have a red tinge to his eyes too which I've read is common in scanning bunnies.

Back