• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you keep your buns cool?

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
The weather is unbelievably hot right now, it's not even summer yet! The buns have a cool, damp towel to lie on, frozen water bottles to lie against, 5 water bowls and I wet a flannel and dab their ears with the cool water throughout the day.

Are there any other ways to keep buns cool? What do you do? Thanks.

I sometimes get a fan outside and that helps. Or if you can get your hands on it - a piece of marble! That stays cool. Theres some pet site that sells little marble type slab things but i cant remember what!! Also by snugglesafe you can get an ice pod - but id say its basically the same thing as the water bottles! I also have parasols for the buns. Think i got them from lidl and they werent expensive. I just speared them into the ground

this is somethin that is really worryin me!. its good at the moment cause im off work, but when i go back im away for 14hrs at a time (my b/friend is often sent home early due to no work (good on one hand not on the other tho:). i have the windows open (with fly screens) in shaunys room and that keeps the room quite cool, i also have a large fan for my other bun, mol (we cant fit fly screens to her window cause the cats sit on her window ledge).
i have also given them extra water and im changin them 2+daily.
but when i go back to work i worry bout the windows in shaunys room being open (just because if we were robbed i know they would leave all the doors open and cats would get in) dnt care about my stuff, just my buns!. and a fan bein left on for all that time without anyone being here.

thats a really good idea bout the frozen water bottles tho, im gonna give that a go- do you wrap it in a towel?.

Do you put ice cubes into the water bottle to keep it cool? I don't think I have anything to help keep Bella cool but I think I do need to do something as she's a black bun who gets hot in the sun. Any suggestions??

No you fill up a bottle with water and then put it in the freezer until its solid..l.that's what i do anyway! Make sure its not too cold before you put it in with the buns as when its just come out of the freezer it tends to be so cold that your hands stick to the bottle, and obviously you don't want that happening with the buns!
Also try putting pebbles in the freezer for about 1hour or so , they stay cold for a bit.
Pets at home sell a marble piece designed for chinchillas but gr8 for rabbits too!
Cant believe its so hot its only May!

No you fill up a bottle with water and then put it in the freezer until its solid..l.that's what i do anyway! Make sure its not too cold before you put it in with the buns as when its just come out of the freezer it tends to be so cold that your hands stick to the bottle, and obviously you don't want that happening with the buns!
Also try putting pebbles in the freezer for about 1hour or so , they stay cold for a bit.
Pets at home sell a marble piece designed for chinchillas but gr8 for rabbits too!
Cant believe its so hot its only May!

Ok, but what are they supposed to do in the mean time for water?

o no not their water bottle...just any old water bottle you find in the house like an evian bottle or some kind of plastic container that will hold water that you could freeze :) just something for them to lay against to keep them cool.

o no not their water bottle...just any old water bottle you find in the house like an evian bottle or some kind of plastic container that will hold water that you could freeze :) just something for them to lay against to keep them cool.

Ohh right - sorry for being dumb :oops:

:lol: i re read the post and thought it would probably be a gr8 idea to put ice cubes ni their water bottles, then their water is nice and chilled :)

Hi

Hunny has been hiding in the shade and flopping around like a teenager today - poor love. I've discovered some ice cube trays in wilkinson that are small enough to fit the ice cubes straight into the water bottle. I also put a ton of ice cubes in their water bowls, soaked and chilled their veggies. I discovered the ice packs you stick in the cooler-bags, the blue ones that stay frozen for ages are good too. As long as the bunnies dont try nibbling them! And of course the normal water bottles frozen overnight and put in their run.

My lads spent the day in the paddling pool and soaked the patio a few times. Hunny seemed to enjoy sitting in the puddles, actually running around finding the freshest (and coldest) patch! Mustard acted like the boys - running around like a mad nutter, then collapsed in his hutch when I bought him in! They are sat watching Top Gear now (the buns).

Carmen

You can buy a ice cooler pad from pets@home, pop in in the freezer overnight :) im going to pop a little low paddling pool in their run tomorrow, saffy likes water!

Back