• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smudge Is So Awkward!!

Smudge14

New Kit
Smudge ... I have tried litter training himm a billion times but everytime he starts to use it he wil move a bit further down his hutch.

im not at home for sum of theday so its hard to keep an eye on him constantly.

Anybody got any suggestions... Much Apreeciated x:wave:

Has he been neutered, its a million times easier to litter train if he has been neutered.

No He Hasn't Been Neutered.. I Have Been Thinking About It, I Wouldnt Have Thought That Would Help Me :roll: Thakns xx

unneutured bunnies are alot harder 2 litter train! if hes neutured he will much easier 2 trin 2 use the litter box xxx

I was adivsed that rabbits only go to the toilet where the hay is. I changed my corner trays to rectangle ones that fill the bedroom and only put hay in there. They are a lot better now with only the occasional spill over the side of the trays.

I was adivsed that rabbits only go to the toilet where the hay is.

Thats what I was told as well but it didnt quite work that way with Pumpkin. He would wee & poo wherever his litter tray wasnt until 1 day I took his hay out & hey presto one very clean hutch & one very wet & dirty tray :D

yeah they are all different - my 7 (2 have since died) all took to litter trays straight away from never having any, even though they were all adult and 6 weren't neutered.

then after about a year, Maa and Benny both decided they wanted to keep their litter tray (a big underbed storage box with their eating hay in as well as absorbent litter) as a bed, and started to use the floor as a toilet :roll: I added an extra box to each of their hutches, and all was well for another year - then Maa decided to keep both boxes clean, and started using the floor again :roll: I managed to squeeze a small, empty kitten litter tray into the gap she was using, wedged it all with bricks, and she became once more perfectly litter trained for months - until a bit of hay got into her 'toilet tray' :roll: She then decided she couldn't go to the toilet in the hutch at all, and started holding it all night, which soon was the death of her :(

I would rather they make a mess on the floor than become so obsessed with being clean that they make themselves ill - I have heard of other rabbits holding it like Maa did too, so it's not unusual.

Back