PDA

View Full Version : panacur-9 days or 6 weeks???

mimi75
10-05-2008, 03:10 PM
hi again.i am currently treating all 3 of my bunnies with panacur because one,little moo,has tested positive(as posted in earlier thread)we only discovered this after testing her due to mrs h-b finding a tiny white dot in her eye.now,frances said to treat them all for 9 days,but i have read on here 6 weeks so i am a little confused.i suspect moo has slight incontinence and the white dot in her eye but other than that no symptoms.i am treating her husbun and my other single bun as a precaution.i bought a hefty supply over the internet tho incase i do need to give them ongoing treatment.what do you think i should do?:?

marie_kubiak
10-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Frances (Harcourt-Brown I assume?) is probably the most knowledgable of anyone in the UK on E.cuniculi so I would always follow her advice with regards to treatment for any rabbit she has seen, she will have very good reasons for her treatment guidelines :)

waggytailstina
10-05-2008, 04:10 PM
look at what Sooz says too, This is a copy of an email sent to a client of ours. Hope that helps
Hi jenny
I suspect the owner of the boarding kennel is referring to the risk of a parasite called E.Cuniculi. It is present in approximately 50% of domestic (not wild) rabbits. It is a small protozoan parasite that is typically spread from mum to babies or via urine- such as rabbits mixing on the same area of grass or run- eating grass that could have previously had urine on it from an infected rabbit.
The only way to effectively treat or prevent E.Cuniculi is a 28 day course of an oral aniseed flavoured liquid called Lapizole. It only needs to ever be done once unless your rabbit is due to mix with new rabbits at any stage again in the future- in which case it should be done each time.
A bottle of lapizole is around 19 and has sufficient in it to treat a 3kg rabbit for the full course. Its easy to give- they love the taste.
My recommendation is to do this treatment course when your bunny gets home from the kennels and then you can be certain that even if she did pick it up, she wouldn't develop any disease and would be cleared of the parasite. Of course, she may be the one taking the parasite in to the kennels as she may have already have it in her system from her mum. Symptoms may never appear but they can include head tilt, kidney failure, bladder infections, incontinence, weakness and paralysis. Treatment once they have symptoms often is too late.
Let us know if you would like some further info or to order a bottle of lapizole.
Kind regards
Caroline Munroe

Caroline Munroe
Millhouses Vets4Pets Ltd
hat sooz22 has said in past she gets her info from a rabbit vet
Here I have the copy of an email from Caroline munroe vet4pets Millhouses Sheffield.

Sooz
10-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Very odd.

Perhaps you could ask her for an explanation of why she feels 9 days would be effective in an active case as it's been virtually written off by most other rabbit knowledgeable vets for anything other than routine worming.

Jack's-Jane
10-05-2008, 04:17 PM
hi again.i am currently treating all 3 of my bunnies with panacur because one,little moo,has tested positive(as posted in earlier thread)we only discovered this after testing her due to mrs h-b finding a tiny white dot in her eye.now,frances said to treat them all for 9 days,but i have read on here 6 weeks so i am a little confused.i suspect moo has slight incontinence and the white dot in her eye but other than that no symptoms.i am treating her husbun and my other single bun as a precaution.i bought a hefty supply over the internet tho incase i do need to give them ongoing treatment.what do you think i should do?:?

I too am totally confused re EC :? I assumed that if the Bun tested positive and was symptomatic then an 'active' EC could be presumed and the Bun should be given a 4-6 week course of Fenbendazole. What I am not clear on is how long 'in contact' Rabbits should be treated for. Some Vets have told me 9 days, others say that 'in contact' Buns also require a 6-8 week course :?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh, trying to understand EC does my head in!! :rolleyes:

Janex

ecudc
10-05-2008, 09:12 PM
me personally I would certainly give the bunny that tested positive 6 weeks and as the other buns might have it too I would also give them six weeks rather than the more normal 9 days incase they reinfected bunny number 1.........my bun sooty is showing symptoms again despite the fact he was treated for 30 days last time and the others treated for 9 days so they are all going on 30 days and I am now broke :D

SarahP
10-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Personally I'd give an in contact bun 6 weeks, in case they weren't showing obvious signs, but did have an active case.

rspcarabbits
13-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi This is a subject we have been looking into and at the moment studies (Emma Keeble and others)are still being made on the complete subject

In the vets compendium both panacur rabbit and lapiziole recommend treatment for 28 days for active infections.

Lapizole recommends 28days for prevention also whilst panacur rabbit recommends 9 days as an AID to the prevention of e-c. There have been no studies as far as we know on built up aquired resistance to fenbedazole by e-c parasite if only used as a regular aid to prevention without eradication but this is a fear of some vets and ours who regulary deal with rabbits.

Having read the C Suter paper that panacur 9 day course is based on only 4 rabbits were used in the trial and all results have beem extrapolated from this miniscule test. Only two of the rabbits were given fenbendazole for 7 days prior to infection and 2 days after. These were from e-c free breeding colonies so were not carriers before hand. The test simply showed in 2 rabbits that they could not infect them whilst they were being treated with fenbendazole All the rest of the tests were on naturally infected bunnied for 28 days which showed that it could be eradicated when given for this period of time.

All subsequent reserch seems to show that the spores stay in the environment for at least 28 days and as protection from infection is only during treatment there seems to be a big worry over subsequent re-infection . 9 days is definitely not long enough to prevent this and only appears to knock back the developing symptoms.

This is our take on what we have read and as a result of converstaions with the companies and interested vets .

Interesting reading is this C Suter trial 2001 and also The Genitrix Xtra news sheet Autumn 2007 which has a good article by Emma Keeble/Shaw on the subject .

Based on all the information we have obtained we will be using 28days for prevention and treatment.

As accurate dosing is important any person using Panacur rabbit for rabbits under 2.5kg should contact the company for accurate dosing information.Lapizole is simply 1 pump per 1/2 kg and is therefore easier to administer without further dosing information having to be sought.

However both products used correctly for 28days in our opinion are as good a product as each other.

If a vet advised us to use for 6 weeks i.e due to infection we would not hestitate to do so as there maybe in our opinion good reason to treat for longer than 28 days as this is how long it stays in the environment so 6 weeks gives extra protection whilst eradicating from the environment and rabbits if dosed correctly appear to be tolerent to the drug.

Every time you introduce a new rabbit to another you could be open to a new infection allowing 52% rate of incidence of exposure in normal healthy domestic rabbits.

One final point that all rescue centers and vets should be aware of is their duty to inform owners of all rabbits that anybody who is immune suppressed could be at risk from e-c as this parasite could have zoonotic potential.