• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits get sunburn?

leeanderin

Mama Doe
We've just put Rubens and Dilbert back outside after a winter indoors and it's pretty hot and sunny outside, the fur on Dilberts ears is pretty thin and you can see his pinky skin underneath, should i do something to protect them in the heat? Does anyone else to anything to protect their buns ears? They've got plenty of shade but i'm not sure what to do because this is Dilberts first summer?

I know that white cats and dogs are prone to sunburnt ears and skin cancer in the tips.....Im sure there was a thread about sunscreen for pets on here a few days back.

hermione is black, but she has very little, (almost no hair) on her ears.
is it ok to use childrens sun cream on her?

I used children's on my cat but have now found the pet one, it didn't hurt him but I'm not a vet and with bunnies having such dodgy tummies may be risky. I'd get the pet one if it were me.

I've no idea to the answer to your question Leeanderin, but just wanted to say your rabbits are beautiful!

Back