• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits wont use bedroom area...

SimonKD

Young Bun
Hi I am new to the forum and to keeping rabbits.

We have two rabbits, bought a few days apart. They are in a two level hutch and when we just had one it would spend nearly all it's time in the upper level in his bedroom. When we bought the second one a few days later they slept togeather in the upper level for a few days but now they spend all there time in the lower level and only use the bedroom area upstairs for a toilet. I have changed the bedding each night but they seem to not want to go up there.

I thougth maybe because it's hot they would rather sleep downstairs but I am worrying it's something more serious.

mine hardly use the upstairs of the hutch either - and the bedrooms are usually designated toilet, so you can fit one or 2 cat litter trays in there, or an underbed storage box, to make cleaning out easier.

be careful to seperate these rabbits at 10 weeks old if they're babies of the opposite sex, or seperate them now if they are older (assuming you don't want to breed - they are very hard to home and rescues are overflowing with them) and be aware that they are very hard to sex correctly at that age - even vets get it wrong - boys testicles should descend around 4 months old and they can then be neutered although will still be fertile for up to 8 weeks post op and can mate in a second, given the opportunity.

Mine ALWAYS does that. I've realised he likes to poo in private. :lol: So I keep that area with a large litter tray and then it's easy to clean out. He sleeps in another litter tray in the "run" part of his hutch.

Back