• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cutting the Grass

runnybabbit

Alpha Buck
This may be a silly question as millions of rabbits owners all over the world have gardens and cut the grass but......

I remember a couple of years (or so) ago reading on here that rabbits cant eat 'mowed' grass but cant for the life of me remember why.

Now although I am not intending on feeding them mowed grass my garden is very much in need of cutting and I never, never am able to get all the mowed grass up, most of it yes but all of it no, so my dilema is do I let the buns go on the garden after or not, what if they eat some of the mowed grass that I've missed, will it effect them or should they be ok. In the main there are lots of things in the garden that they never touch, ivy, holly, bluebells but grass they love (don't they all). I don't want to make them poorly but I do need to sort out this garden.

Now, once you have all stopped laughing any advice, tips or comments will be greatfully received.

Thanks

I "think" it's freshly mowed grass they cannot eat as it starts to ferment and if they eat this it can make them poorly. Cut grass with scissors is ok to give buns I think (correct me if I'm wrong guys).

I usually cut my grass in the evening after the buns have been on it all day. I then rake up what the mower has not collected with a leaf rake but it's usually not much. They can then go back on the grass next day as any "loose mown" grass has now dried up. They tend to eat the "growing" grass rather than "mown" grass, our buns do anyway.

There are lots of cheap mowers out there now that have a grass collection box to collect the mown grass and save all that raking.

Yeah I've got a mower with a grassbox - apart from having to empty the grassbox onto the compost heap a few times, it's sooooo much easier to use than the hover mower I used to have - really quiet too :) (Qualcast cobra quiet 32 - not expensive)

.....guess I've got no excuses now though :oops: (you don't want to see the state my garden's in)

Also just for interest if you don't pick up the grass cuttings it can lead to Legionella Disease.

Thanks everyone for your replys.

Will do the grass tonight then so the buns can have the days on it..... what a shock it will be to them tomorrow morning when there's nothing to hide in......:shock::lol::lol::lol:

Back