• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch ok for two

what size buns are they?? I'd say give them a large, securely attached run and they will be fine but maybe not if they are to be kept in the hutch a lot

Is this ok

hi guys ive got a hutch coming from ebay will this be ok for two bunnies thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330232199754

Can I just respectfully say that to ask oppinions when you have already ordered is a dangerous thing and invites ill feeling on your part if we feel different to you.

Well to put my "simon cowell" hat on.......

The hutch looks sturdy but as has already been suggested it requires a permanent attached safe secure run. We would suggest that for two small to medium bunnies say up to 2kg a peice you will require approx 50 square feet total area including the hutch. This is a minimum size that we re-home to and for bigger bunnies that total area needs to be extended up to the point of giant bunnies that require an awful lot more than that......think 3-4 times that 50 sq ft area +

If the price you paid was £99 then think of spending another £150 - £200 for a proper walk in run on slabs or concrete and then you have a set up that we would be really happy with , you would find easy to live with and whats more would comply with the new animal welfare act 2007 in respect of the rabbits being able to exhibit their natural behaviour.

If you spend in the end £250- £300 then orther things you could have considered are sheds, wendy houses with runs and lots other other possibilites.

Sorry to be blunt and honest but in its present form we would not re-home to it.

Alan.

I think it may be too small, As said above they need a minimum space, I have 2 hutches for my rabbits, a massive run built on and they come out every day without fail.

The hutch is 46" X 23" X 36"

With this being the exterior size of the hutch the interior will be a lot smaller. I am using this exact model for my 2 guinea pigs and it is a fine size for them. For two rabbits the hutch will be way too small.

The height is 36 inches which includes the legs, this means that the height of each level is about 16 inches tall which is not enough for a normal medium sized rabbits to stretch in.

The width is only 46 inches ..... :(

The depth is only 23 inches, these hutches have an overlap which takes out another 2.5 inches leaving only 20.5 inches as a live in depth, with the stairs taking up further 7 inches of the depth this rapidly reduces the live in space that they have.

Very recently there was a thread about these hutches and people were saying that they are made from a easily chewable wood. My piggies have in a year they have had this hutch chewed the wood down where the mesh is secured, in another 6 months I am going to need to review the security of the mesh ... probably have to dump the cage

To me with the life span I will get from this hutch it is not a good investment and a more substantial one would be better and more economical in the long term.

As a rescue ARC uses 48 x 25 x 48 as temporary accomodation for single buns whilst awaiting a new home. Due to space restrictions many rescues have to use temporary accomodation which is smaller than the size that they would rehome rabbits to live in permanantly. For this reason ARC as a rescue would not rehome a pair of rabbits to live in a hutch this size.

On a plus side they do come with bolts :)

Last edited:
Sorry but this hutch is way too small for a single rabbit let alone two in my opinion.

A hutch that is only 18" per storey isn't going to allow a bunny to periscope at all.

It's less than 4 foot long and wouldn't allow a bunny to do proper bunny hops in succession.

It also doesn't meet the new Animal Welfare Act Guidelines on recommended hutch size for a rabbit and most rescues wouldn't re-home to anything this size.

Sorry to be so negative but you did ask.....:D

I'd always go for a shed if you have this sort of cash to spend and the space, better value for money. I'd have to echo what Alan and Janice have already said.

Helen

Id say for £70 youve had a good buy and although i dont think its big enough for rabbits to be shut away for even a small length of time all is not lost because as it can either be attached to a large permement run or used as a sleep area in a playhouse or shed. I really dont like the way the bottom is said to be a run. No bunny can run in that. Sorry :(

Back