• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat oats?

vengeful.veggie

Alpha Buck
I'm sure I read somewhere that rabbits can eat oats, as a treat I believe. Is this correct? I have a whole box file type folder full of all my animals vetinary reciepts etc as well as lots, and lots of research on animal care including rabbits and I couldn't find anything that said that oats were okay.

Can someone shed a little light on this?

I'm sure I read somewhere that rabbits can eat oats, as a treat I believe. Is this correct? I have a whole box file type folder full of all my animals vetinary reciepts etc as well as lots, and lots of research on animal care including rabbits and I couldn't find anything that said that oats were okay.

Can someone shed a little light on this?

'Yes' they can but only as a very occassional treat and no more than a tsp/kg (best soaked in water as fed dry they will swell up in the guts which can cause problems )
They are useful for keeping weight on elderly Buns or Buns with a chronic disease. Fed too often to a healthy adult Bun they can cause obesity and gut problems.

Janex

Back