• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kept on grass

drboo

Mama Doe
Hi there, does anyone keep their buns in a run (with hutch) on grass permanently? If so, what are the pros and cons please :wave: Thanks.

i do , they eat the grass to nothing and it doesn't regrow, also can get quite muddy even when it is covered up. i am thinking of laying paving slabs as will be cleaner and easier

I used to but I moved mine onto patio slabs because -

-they eat every scrap of green and leave just dirt
-it's harder to clean because the wee soaks into the ground and attract flies
-they can dig out
-other things can dig in
-when it rains it gets muddy
-slabs are much cooler on hot days

On the other hand they do like to play on grass, and really help to keep it trimmed!
I let mine out to run about or move the run to half and half for a bit.
THey have litter trays too, which really helps with cleaning out. :)

The wee has burned holes in the grass! They dig everywhere and are selective as to which grass they eat (they won't eat the grass that has grown in the shade :shock:

I've had to do a half and half with the hutch and run on the patio and the grass for through the day.

I bunny proofed the whole garden so they have the run of the garden and chase off all strange cats coming in the garden to protect my kittys they are great guard buns:lol::lol::lol:

keeping on grass is brill if use a run you can do 2 things.... have a secure one overnight which has a layer of mesh or paving slabs dug under about a foot down (this stops too much digging and helps the saftey issue stopping things getting in ) then lay turf over the top. get a movable run which you move round the garden i have a secure one for night and when out attatched to hutch and in day and when home they are in a bunny proof free range of garden..... runs stop predators and give additional security but i find even with the 6ftx6ft run i have they cant really run and binky like in the garden. also biggest pro is never having to mow the lawn again...my 2 only dig in one area and i put a litter tray there next to it which they wee in they do poo most places but that is good for the garden!

i do , they eat the grass to nothing and it doesn't regrow, also can get quite muddy even when it is covered up. i am thinking of laying paving slabs as will be cleaner and easier

Ditto, mine have eaten every last blade of grass.... there is a little moss, but nothing else!!!

My 2 have their hutch in the garden (on top of slabs which are over the mud) and their run goes into the grass.

Never had a problem - never tried to dig out, eat all the grass out there and they do have a good run in the main garden for at least an hour every day.:D

They have access to their run from 7am until dark.

On the grass

My previous pair lived until 9 and half years old! They lived outdoors ALL the time - Winter and Summer and had a fixed sleeping hutch raised off the ground within a large moveable and totally fox - proofed run! The sleeping hutch has an access ramp, and they can come in and go out as they please - and now my new pair are also very happy and healthy out there. We do have a temporary divider for the male as 4 babies arrived 5 weeks ago! The babes also love it out there and are very healthy, they left the nest of their own accord at 3 weeks and chewed grass gradually and they make a fantastic lawn mower!! We move the run daily and have only ever brought buns into their main hutch if an extremely hard frost was forecast. When it snowed when the babes were a week old mum simply pulled more fur out to keep them warm. In my opinion the outdoors life is great and natural for rabbits and they live long and healthy lives. It is also a lot cheaper! They have a few pellets now and then to supplement their diet of grass, dandelions and lots of veg peelings / left overs! (Although obviously due to mum feeding right now and babies growing we are giving extra pellets.)

Back