• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny sneezes?

Hi all,

House rabbit Buster has started to sneeze several times a day (that i notice). I have checked his nose for mucus and there is nothing! Is he ok? I have recently changed hay to a better quality one and have checked that it is dust extracted, so don't think it is this.

Apart from the sneezing he is perfectly normal! He has started to 'forget' his litter habits but i think that is just due to him reaching his teenage years and waiting to be neutered.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited:
One of my house buns Boby used to do about 5 in a row about 4 time sa day, i was worried, but he also does it when i put his pellets down, think its the dust off them??
now hes out side he doesnt do it much at all, so i think it was maybe just the house claening products, air fresheners n things maybe they are not used to. But I was told as long as theres no runny nose mucus etc he should be fine???

It might be fur getting up his nose from where they are moulting more now the weather is getting hotter.

Our new rabbit was sneezing loads and I was worried it was pasteurella... we took him to the vet yesterday and they found a massive bit of hay up his nose... poor thing! He'd also been making noises like a guinea pig which have now stopped - I guess because of the hay in his throat.

If it continues for a few days I would take him to the vet to be checked out.

Catherine

Back