• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rear Guard from the vets/ now changing to xenex

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Ok I probably think the rearguard I got from the shop the other day isn't enough for Nibbles, so I went and got some of the different rearguard (the bingo dapper type one) from the vets last night. I went to use it on Nibbles and it says something about elderly buns, being as Nibble's is 11 and not always the wellist of buns, she gets very bad tummy's, do you think I am ok to use it? Also can I use the other stuff I bought the other day and this together?

Thanks

Last edited:
I never thought to ask while I was there, I did talk to him, but mainly gossiping :rolleyes:, I could ring him, but I have more chance of getting through to God :rolleyes::lol:

Just wondered if anyone had experiance with it, when I read the back I was a bit worried, hadn't occured to me before I left.

chelsea is 10 and has been rear gaurded each year since we had her she has been fine but do chek with vet if worried

Thank you, I have another question too, she has to have her bum washed everynight, as I ok to put it on whilst she's still damp?

not sure?we have always done it dry but i cant imagine it would hurt, but i would imagine that it would be slightly less effective as it would technically be being washed off every day? not 100% tho x

I can reply apply it everyday though can't I? Sorry for all the questions, worry about my old girl getting flystrike and then worry about protecting against it :rolleyes::lol:

She's incontinent too, so she does need as much help as possible :(

i would be very wary about re applying it as you dont want to overdo it and give her a skin irritation from it but again no expert here i think contactin your or another rabbit savvy vet. i have never had an incontinent rabbit presumably she still cleans herself though? i have had a rabbit who had fly strike and we caught it early luckily and vets admitted her and saved her (she eventually passed to the bridge from something else years later) so i think the most important thing is regularly checking her in which case if you notice anything it can be treated immediatly?

If I don't clean her she'll get burns, she was in a bitr of a state when I took her on, cover in urine scold and there is her sticky bum, to be honest I don't blame her not cleaning it, it's not nice :lol:.

I thought rear guard had to be applied daily? :oops:

Ah Thanks Jane, oh I don't know what to do now, Ok I put the other stuff on her the other day rearguard, but the bephar (sp?) one, so if I bath her tonight and then put the other rearguard (the vet one) on in the morning, although may leave it until Monday as the box said she might go off her food, I don't want that on the weekend, if I can help it.

She's got a blue light thing that kills the flys, other than that I don't know what to do, so in a pongy rabbit, I'm scared the flys will get her.

When I bath her bum, she actually makes me wretch, it smells like dog poo, she has biolapis in her water and we watch her diet, she's been panacured, but she still smells.

If you are washing her everyday, you might be better of with just the beapher fly free as this can be applied regularly unlike the fly guard or rearguard.

She is obviously being checked regularly and sometimes there is only so much you can do.

I would try hard to discuss it with a vet or vet nurse as she is obviously a special case.

It would be awful if you over did it with protecting her against flies and put her at risk in other ways.

Good Luck :D

Thanks hun, she's an old dear, vet nurse at my vets are not much use with discussing these things with :rolleyes:

Although I've already put the rearguard on her, the beapher one, that she was ok after that?

Just not put the other on her.

Yes to be honest I have some of that and she was on that last year :oops::oops:, do you think it will be enough for her, she has got worse, with the smell?

I've never used it, but it does say that it kills maggots as well as repelling flies so she should be covered if eggs are laid. I've also just read you can use it weekly instead of fortnightly on high risk bunnies.

Yep, I was always a bit scared of it, because it says it kills cats, but I don't have any cats, so don't know why that is worrying me :oops::lol:. I will call lodger to see if we have any in, but I'm sure I do :oops:

I feel a bit stupid as I've just spent £30 on two different sorts of rearguard now too. :lol:

Back