• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big a space for bonding 4 buns?

babybunnies3

Alpha Buck
I'm moving out of my parents house in 2 weeks :shock: and thought it would be a great time to try and bond my 2 pairs, what space should I set up for them and what kind of things should I put in the area?
Someone said litter trays were bad as they might guard them?

clean litter trays are ok! Put some food in and toys to keep them distracted. You don't want too large a space or they will just hide from each other!

I usually put boxes etc for buns to hide in, & start with quite a large area, & gradually reduce & remove boxes if buns are avoiding each other. I do tend to do quite large bondings though & some buns have been a bit overwhelmed at first. When I bonded Alistair & Suki I was concerned about the size difference. Suki is a tiny lionhead compared to NZ White Alistair. I put cut out boxes for HER to escape to, but he sat there with just his head in them:roll:

Litter trays are fine as long as have been cleaned & don't smell of one bun:D

Sorry have to disagree on litter trays :lol:

I have had a couple of incidents where one bun has 'claimed' the tray and taken to hiding in it....then peeing in it.....and then become convinced its their litter tray and has consequently seen off the other rabbit/s from the safety of the pee box.

The same doesn't seem to happen with newspaper, just 3D objects (happened with boxes before now too) so I just lay newspaper a couple of corners.

Scatter food, dont use bowls, have plenty of bundles of hay about, keep a water spray, broom, towel and carriers on hand.

Have approx. 5 days to spend with them.

Last edited:
I'm hopefully going to have them set up on a saturday night and have until thursday off work, will be able to have the thurs+fri off if I have to.
I thought then would be a good time to try as all neutral territory.
I just want my first shot at it to go as well as possible as with 3 girls I need it to!!!! :shock:

So what size area please?! :lol:

The smaller the better generally. The nightmarish pair Im bonding at the moment are in a 36" dog crate because when they were in the kitchen one had just to get within half a meter of the other and all hell broke loose.

Ta Sooz, they normally get lots of free run time so I can only imagine what they are going to be like cooped up after a couple of days! :shock::lol:

Back