• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weighing a bun

Amy104

Warren Veteran
My new bun Casper is a very very fluffy lionhead so you can't really see it to look at but when you pick him up his bones are very prominent. My vet checked his teeth which are fine and said as long as he is eating there is no immeditate panic but he doesn't want him to get any skinnier. I was thinking I should weigh him regularly to keep tabs. Anyone have any idea on the best way to go about this?

My new bun Casper is a very very fluffy lionhead so you can't really see it to look at but when you pick him up his bones are very prominent. My vet checked his teeth which are fine and said as long as he is eating there is no immeditate panic but he doesn't want him to get any skinnier. I was thinking I should weigh him regularly to keep tabs. Anyone have any idea on the best way to go about this?

Do you have a pet carrier ?
If so weigh that on a set of bathroom scales, then pop him in it and weigh him in the carrier. If you always use the same carrier that will be a 'constant' and any subsequent changes in weight at the next weight-check will be that of your Bunny

Janex :)

or I weigh myself then pick bun up and then weigh again :D

Thats fine for a one off weight check but if you are regularly monitoring the weight of a Bun you cant rely on your weight being a constant like a Pet Carrier would be ;)

Janex :wave:

i tried using my kitchen scales but the bowl went flying in one direction the rabbit darted off in another and o/h got a bit traumatised lol wont be doing that again!! good idea with the pet carrier thanks i kept meaning to post a question about weighing your rabbits but got distracted with the nettle running away thread.

You can use kitchen scales if you wrap bunny in a towel to keep it still.
weigh the towel, then make a bunny burrito and plonk it on the scales. :)

weight of burrito minus weight of towel equals weight of bunny :)

how do you fasten the towel? sorry ive heard of people wrapping their buns in towels to cut their claws as well, any chance of any pictures as from my previous reply o/h isnt keen on helping with the trimming :lol:

aww brilliant thank you so much!!! is there any way i could download it onto my comp in case i am stuck without internet? sorry to be a pain :oops:

I use the kitchen scales. I replace the pan with a light cardboard box, adjust the scales to zero and put the bun in the box for weighing.:)

i use a pet carrier on postal/baby scales every saturday just to keep an eye on their weight :D

bunny burrito hasnt allowed for the alvin factor, id never get away with that :shock::shock:

I use kitchen scales for my little ones as they are much more accurate than bathroom scales - mine are only cheap digital ones from argos and they weigh to the gram. As long as you put a box/tub etc on it before you 'zero' it, you only need a couple of seconds to pop bunny into box and get the weight.

I have a pair of baby scales for my big ones but they are horribly inaccurate as they are curved, presumably designed for a laying down baby, so the weight varies tremendously depending on where and how bunny/kitty decides to stand.

Back