• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw length?

I was told once they shouldn't really be longer than the fur on buns foot, thou I don't suppose that works with really long haired buns?

well i noticed minstrel's claws were a lot longer than the fur on her paws yesterday. its surprised me considering she is on concrete all day, but i'm sure they're too long :?

My buns claws are quite short which I put down to the dig box they both have. Its a mix of soil and gravel with the odd pellet for encouragement.

Not sure exact length but I'm sure I probably keep mine on the longer side than most of you as I cut them myself and I'm a whimp so don't like to get too close to the vein so I'd rather keep them a little longer but cut them more often, does that make sense?

I cut 1 - 2 mm every month or so when his claws have overgrown the fur. As I cant see the quip, cos they're dark, it's the only guideline i've got. Apart from the 1st time, he's not bled.

I only cut a little bit each time, just so I know they're not overgrown. About a cm from the quick. I'm worried about doing my little Verity's nails, she doesn't need them done yet, but she has black nails and I can't see the quick :shock:

I think as long as the claws are flat its ok. They are designed to be quite long, but should not really poke out from the fur. I get mine clipped for free by my vet when I take my buns for their checks.
I just ask them to check and they clip the odd one thats overgrown. :)

I am a whimp - cant get close enough to stroke Flopsy never mind trim his nails - leave it to the vet to do:roll:

Its only time Flopsy will be held - when he's in the vets:lol:

I guess you want roughly 2mm from the end of the quick. Slightly more on the back feet probably.

Thanks for your replies everyone. The next vet trip isn't planned until July, but I will try and get a closer inspection of their feet later. Problem is, i would have to hold while hubby clipped and i think he would chicken out :roll:

what you need to remember with claws is that there is a reddish brown part at the base of the claw, thats the blood part and you cant cut into that so you take the length from the end of there! ask your vet as diff buns need diff lengths!

Back