• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how can i stop her?

kimd6200

Banned
ok bluebell is in a large hutch n the door is open all day everyday so she has full run of the garden bu just lately she has decided instead of running round the garden,she is pulling the wire of her hutch door!:shock::roll:im so worried shes going hurt her mouth but nothing stops her.shes already made a large hole so going to have to have it redone.it wasnt the thick mesh it was like the wide gapped chicken wire which i thought was ok cuz shes locked up at night in the shed so nothing could get at her.any tips on how i can stop her?she has loads of toys etc.x

???? Rabbits seem to get a fixation on something - like it is their mission so it seems to be really hard to stop them. Mine do - they are determined to get somewhere and chew something for ages and i try every trick to stop them to no avail then suddenley it changes and it is something else. With wood i have tried tea tree oil before as they don't like the smell of it - you could try putting some round the frame of the door and see if that puts her off?

???? Rabbits seem to get a fixation on something - like it is their mission so it seems to be really hard to stop them. Mine do - they are determined to get somewhere and chew something for ages and i try every trick to stop them to no avail then suddenley it changes and it is something else.

That is soo true! :lol:

Kim, maybe you could try getting a piece of perspex or something cut to size that you could fit onto the door just whilst Bluebell is free range? Alternatively, I'd replace the chicken wire with the welded mesh stuff - it's a lot stronger and your little madam ( :lol: ) is much less likely to damage it even if she does have a nibble. As you have to get it redone anyway I think that would be the best option for you - GL :D

I had a German lop buck that went through 2 layers of mesh on his door :roll: I fixed it by replacing both layers witht he 1inch guage thick mesh. That was to strong for him to nibble. However he did continue to pull on the wire, and that can damage their teeth. luckily his door moved very slightly so when he pulled he was pulling on the door, not pulling on his teeth :roll:

Maybe give her a toy like a parrot bell attached to the wire that she may pull on instead? Sometimes they develop these habits out of boredom.

They are not overly keen on lemon juice or vinegar either. Neither will do them any harm.

OR sit with her and watch her doing it and every time she does it squirt her with water. I know it sounds mean, but when my boys have a project as I call it (you are so right boy they get obsessed with things sometimes...) I just have to lift the squirty bottle now and they binky off, knowing full well they are being naughty sausages.

she loves bein squirted with water!:roll::lol:im goin with my grandad tomorrow to a builders merchants so ill see wat theyve got.ill get something attatch to the wire like a bell or something see if that distracts her.shes such a madam. shes currently hiding at the top of the garden n she knows i cant get to her there.so looks like ill be waiting for her come out again.she will wen her bellies rumbling.x:lol:

You could always stop her by giving her to me;):lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: She is sooooooo cute

u need to get her some mesh which she cant get her teeth around, the chicken wire stuff is big enough for her mouth so she can easily chew it, get the mesh which has 1cm sqaure gaps, that way she physically wont be able to get her teeth round the mesh 2 bite in the first place!

good luck

i had her hutch built by a bloke who makes hutchs n he said rabbits cant chew it!!!!:lol::lol::lol:yea right!!!!:lol:checked her mouth n she doesnt have any cuts or owt.xx

Back