• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shaving a rabbits bottom

Alright, so I've taken Charm to the local vets three times now for them to shave his bottom with no success, they just wash him and send him back. Well I can and do wash him myself thank you, but they never shave his bottom, and as Charm has no front teeth and actually enjoys laying in his litter tray he gets dirty. Quickly.

So I rang up the vet I've grown up using, but they only do that during the week, when I can't beg a lift over there from my dad, nor reasonably get there on public transport because of work.

So that's left me very few options, I don't know another local vet and after all the vets I've tried I'm somewhat reluctant to try a new one anyway. So I've thought about it and am actually pretty sure that I can do this myself. Only I'm nervous understandably as I've never trimmed fur before. I've done teeth and claws, but never fur.

So I was looking for some advice?
Should I go ahead and cut his fur myself or just leave it and continue giving him weekly showers till I can find somewhere that I can get to to do this. (If it was an emergency I'd pull a 36 hour day easily, but I'm reluctant to do that for a haircut)
What should I use to do this if I do try. My dad said something about an actual shaver like the one he uses for his head, but another friend said lunt scissors like what she used forr her guinae pig.

Ive used one of those shavers before......but only on my boyfriends head who kept very still..........I guess it depends on who well behaved your bunny is when you trance him which you'd need to do to shave him......I think its quite hard to cut yourself with the razors but not impossible.

:wave: When you say dirty bottom, is it wetness or actual poos that are sticking to him?

I've got 2 front toothless bunnies and they also like laying in their litter trays yet have spotlessly clean butts so I'm not sure that having no front teeth is the issue.

Good luck

can you not find someone who does pet grooming? finding a bunny experienced one maybe hard but not impossible - i know a lady who grooms minstrel for me and i'm sure she could shave if necessary :)

I use nail scissors to trim fur on bums. Be careful though because it's very easy to accidentally nick the skin without realising...rabbits have very thin skin.

Problem is with shavers is that they can pull and nick the skin.

Get you not get some blunt ended vet scissors and just trim the area?

Problem is with shavers is that they can pull and nick the skin.

Get you not get some blunt ended vet scissors and just trim the area?

No you don't want a scissor. It can accidentally cut the skin if you do it wrong. I done it once by accident. As their skin is very thin.

Shaver is the choice that vet uses. The brand you want is Wella or Osyter.

Alright so I tried a shaver. Gosh that bunny loves shavers. He kept licking my sisters arm :p But the shaver we're using doesn't seem to like the amount of fur, so I was thinking, maybe cut it short with scissors before shaving?

Back