• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question regarding treatment of bruised Rabbit Penis

Yep, that's right;
My rabbits are both adult neutered males, and are caged separately; but alas, tonight in the wee hours, one of them got out due to the cage not being closed properly, and they bit each other's penises while trying to mount one another....lovely...thank god the dog started making a fuss and woke me..

My problem now is; treatment

The rabbit vet in my area is currently not practicing as he's setting up a new practice of his own 2 hours away. The Emergency Vets that are on tonight have no understanding of how to treat this condition. One of my bunns has been on metacam before for a short time due to a similar incident 2 years ago. I'm going to be giving 4 drops of metacam twice daily with food while I try to get a hold of someone who might be able help. (I have a Mastiff with an arthritic elbow as well, so I've got some kickin' around). Any ideas and suggestions are more than welcome

my two did this prior to being neutured last summer one decided to hump the other in the face and got his winkie bitten for it, well i didnt know this intially as the biting one had blood on his face so cleaned him up nothing there, then the other went back to hump again and thats when i checked him.

well he had the tip of his penis bleeding i applied pressure (being a nurse you do these things) then took him to the vets in the morning made my husband explain and they gave him some antibiotics and pain relief. we had him and his brother neuteured 2wks later and theyve never been back together as always fight.

mind you if someone bit my privates i too wouldnt like them very much:lol:

When this happened during a bonding I was instructed by the vets (over the phone) to swab the bite with sterile saline daily, give Metacam and start a week of Baytril.....we had all this at home so didn't need to see the vet but his owners took him to theirs the next day and continued the same treatment.

Has it started to swell?
Is it bleeding or just bruised?

So far it appears to be just bruising, no bloodshed, even when their penises are extracted. I was able to contact my vet today and they recommended Metacam (for their respective weight differences) and to monitor for any trauma and infection.

I really appreciate your responses.

For those of you who have never heard of this before, and may find it odd:
I've found that it's important to check your male bunns after 'bonding'/'escaping and mounting' because this type of injury could go undetected by someone who may not be aware, and an infection could get really out of control.

So far, so good for now; if anything changes I'll post a reply to keep everyone in the know

Thanks Again!
:wave:

Back