• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there a law about the age...

Bavarian Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
...at which baby bunnies can be sold? I saw an ad which listed 2-week old babies as "they will be ready in 2 weeks", and then also a 5-week old baby. :( I thought about writing to the seller, but they will probably just think that it's none of my business and give me rude reply.

I don't know if there is any "law" but the law of common sense. Surely a 4/5 week old would struggle GREATLY without Mum?:(

I sure hope there IS a law - but if this is the case I haven't heard of it (Sorry!):oops:

Maybe you could write explaining that you don't mean to come across as rude but that you thought you ought inform them that rabbits as young as this removed from Mum are likely to become ill...

Couldn't they even die? - Wouldn't they still be drinking her milk as well as eating hay at that age?:shock:

TP - Sorry she can't be of more help.:(

I thought they were weaned at 6 weeks, but leaving them with their mother until they are 8 or 10 weeks would be best for their immune system, as their tummies are still very sensitive. Unfortunately people just want to make money and don't care whether the bunnies then get ill.
If what his previous owner told me was correct, then my Cloud was sold in a pet shop at only 4 or 5 weeks of age. :(

Age of baby bunnies

If you are a BRC member then you are not allowed to sell any bunnies under the age of 8 weeks, most caring breeders(this what i do anyway:D) will sell from 10-12 weeks plus depending on the breed, the size of the bunny and how they are coping being away from mum. Pet shops can sell from 6weeks (that's why they norm. died:cry::cry::cry:), but not before this age,i think that it is in their licence. Private "we going to have a litter even though we don't know what we are doing people" sell when ever they want, without a care.:evil::evil:

Back