• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lunging/biting bunny at dinner time

ShivyRex

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Winter is a lovely bun and will often let me stroke him - he loves a nose rub. Outside of his hutch when running in the garden he is good as gold and will even let me pick him up no problem. The problem I have is whenever I got out to give him his bowl of pellets in the morning or veggie at night he lunges at me, growls/grunts and he even bit me tonight altho hasn't made a mark but that only because I am wearing a thick top.

He has been like this pretty much since I got him and have put it down to him being territorial of his hutch/run. Altho I am not sure if it is actually posessiveness over food. I am wondering if there are any methods to reduce it as I get so frustrated when he does it and it makes me feel terrible as I take it personally :oops: :( (which I know is ridiculous but I can't help it!)

He is being bonded with another bunny in the next few weeks and then going into a new hutch/run with that bunny if successful. I am wondering if this kind of possessiveness is going to hamper the bonding process also?

Any tips advice will be most appreciated.

Thanks

I had exactly the same with Bella - it was scary and putting your arm into her cage without distracting her first was asking for trouble - I got bitten and scratched quite a few times when I forgot and put my hand straight in, not to mention her swiping the bowl and spilling it all over the place.

I had to distract her by throwing a few pellets or bit of veg to one end of the cage while quickly putting the rest down.

I was worried when she started to live with T that she wouldn't let him near food but she's calmed down so much since living with him that it's not been a problem. He's realised he needs to eat fast or miss out, and I do give them separate bowls, though they're quite happy to share bowls too. When they first starting living together I didn't bother putting the veg in a bowl - I'd just scatter it over quite a wide area and it kept her so busy that she didn't mind that T was also eating it. She still buzzes quite a lot and gets impatient with me if I don't put her bowl down as quickly as she'd like, but I just distract her by throwing a bit down on one side and putting the bowl down on the other side.

Tia was like this, and Benny was when I first got him - even in this weather I ALWAYS wear a pair of thick fleece gloves and long sleeves to put the food dish down - I also stopped using the crockery dishes after Tia bit me - I wanted something I could quickly chuck in there before she went mad, and something I didn't need to refill (I can pop a full dish on top of the empty one and remove both when bunny is out playing) so I bought loads of those little plastic cat dishes that stack on top of one another (from wilkinsons of course :lol:) - only 40p each or something - Benny loves to play with his afterwards - I hear him chucking it about :)

PS - with my group of girls I put food on the floor so they don't have to share a dish - they are so good though when I hand feed them treats (good job as I can't wear gloves to do that) - very gentle and well mannered with me - but not with each other! :)

Hmmmm well it seems perhaps he is just going to be like this always then :? As long as I know that I guess I can just make sure I don't get injured. Hopefully once he has a girlfriend he will calm down a bit.

I do the same distraction techniques but I guess I wasn't on the ball last night and got biten!

It's just very strange as Zion and Fia are TOTALLY different and never lunge or growl when food is given - thank god.

Hey ho - thick gloves it is.

Thanks guys

Shiv

Are you giving it to him in a bowl Shiv? If yep, then get rid of the bowl & just chuck the pellets on the floor of the hutch/run so they are spread around - Should help a bit because he has nothing in particular to be possessive over (ie. the bowl contaning food) Hope it helps :) X

Edited to add - You could also try a treat ball

Yeah I think you're right. I have tried him with a treat ball before and he didn't really understand what it was for but I think he will figure it out. I chucked his veg into his run tonight and was much easier really :)

Thanks guys

Mine lunges and growls, he has done since we got him. Neutering tamed it a little but he still does it when I am putting hands in the hutch. OH well I guess its just a bunny thing lol

May I ask how did you do your sig with putting the animals on a back ground? I want to do one like that.

Back