• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very overweight rabbit? - HELP NEEDED

Amsy1991

Mama Doe
Over_weight_Rabbit__by_Indi_95.jpg

Thats bond, a female bunny and about 3 years old. She is my mates rabbit, and as much as i hate to say it i dont think she is taking proper care of her. She even takes the mick out of it being fat :?

I wanted to know if it was overweight or just a big rabbit or something else. When i went to stroke her she growled at me and she is hardly ever, and i mean ever, handled.

:roll:

Oh my lord :shock: is that her tummy? Poor sumo bunny :( Thats not right. Could you take her away? Could you get a list of what she eats?

Is this the same bunny you posted about a while ago? If it is it doesn't look like your friend has taken any notice of what was said last time!! :?

Is this the same bunny you posted about a while ago? If it is it doesn't look like your friend has taken any notice of what was said last time!! :?

Mhmm, it is. :?

I wasnt able to pick her up as where she was sitting was only accessible by the lift of roof of the run and she was under the house bit...if that makes sense. Plus she growled at me and obviously wasnt used to handling.

When i looked at the food bowl, a large one, it was full to the brim with food and my friend says she doesn't eat a lot of it, its just all from ages ago. :roll: Plus Bond doesn't get any exercise as she is stuck in the hutch most of the year. Plus she usually gets poo stuck to her bottom according to my friends mum. Her mum is concerned about the rabbit but i don't think she knows what to do. :? They also feed Bond 2 lettuce leaves a day.

What type of food is it? If she's not already I suggest giving her a bag of pellets to try & a treat ball. If her mum is interested talk to her or give your friend written info on quantity so her mum can read too.

It's difficult to tell weight from a photo but the above won't hurt a healthy bun either :)

Its a mix i think, but i can see some sort of pellets. Ill ask her today and give her that advice. :D Thanks Tamsin.

Stuck in a hutch + overweight + sticky bum + summer = flystrike :(

Maybe show your friend some graphic pictures of how her bunny could get eaten alive if she doesn't do something?

Thanks Chloe! That would be great :)

Stuck in a hutch + overweight + sticky bum + summer = flystrike :(

Maybe show your friend some graphic pictures of how her bunny could get eaten alive if she doesn't do something?

Mhmm I was thinking she might have flystrike. My mates mum said she is going to clean her bum soon so i could have a chat to her about it. I really want them to put Bond in a run or let her run around their garden. She hardly ever gets out, hates being picked up, is neglected half the time (is never played with etc). I think thats why she growled at me and freak out when i went to stroke her. :?

It doesn't really sound like they're taking care of the bun properly, even if they do love her. Maybe they just don't know a lot about rabbits, but I think you should do a good amount of research before getting a pet anyway.

Poor thing, if she hasn't got it already, she's very likely to get flystrike. I don't like when rabbits are left in hutches :(

*sigh*

Poor thing :( She does look overweight although it's also quite hard to tell from the piccy.

If the mum seems interested and if bunny is hard to handle you could offer your help to go round and bum clean when she does it? And while your there give them some leaflets ;)

I hope they manage to see that they are not being fair to her :(

Poor wee rabbit.She really needs the right diet but also exercise which you say she's not getting.Why do they have the wee rabbit?If she isn't used to getting out and petted etc she will be scared stiff of people coming into her 'territory'.Tell them to feed her more fresh fruits and veg (not lettuce she'll get the trots and will attract flies more) and some hay.she really needs to get out though that's a shame.What they are doing is cruel whether they realise it or not.Would they not let you take her;) x

Back