• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites - UD New Q regarding baby Roo pg3

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
So Bobbin has a few mites. I pointed them out to the vet at his last check up a couple of months ago. She said that a few were nothing to worry about. I have noticed them again today and also noticed that he has some very small patches of dry skin. It doesn't look sore but I assume that the mites have caused this.

I know there have been numerous threads on mites before but I have decided to treat them once he has finished his Lapizole course and wanted some concise ideas on what is the best product to use :)

After reading other threads I have picked out the following as the most suitable products. Do you have any experience with them? Which is safest and most effective?

Do you have a different suggestion?

I'm inclined to try the Johnson's powder but I'd really appreciate some advice as I've never treated mites before and don't want to inject chemicals unnecessarily if it can be avoided :)

Thea :wave:

Last edited:
oooh, i noticed that carlton had a little patch of dry skin and it came away like dandruff. i hope he doesn't have mites. are they obvious?

oooh, i noticed that carlton had a little patch of dry skin and it came away like dandruff. i hope he doesn't have mites. are they obvious?

In white fur yes, they are tiny little dots, barely visible, but still visible. On black fur, not so sure :?

In white fur yes, they are tiny little dots, barely visible, but still visible. On black fur, not so sure :?

i went through with with a flea comb and couldn't see any dots. the dry skin seems to be where new hair is coming through. poor Bobbin, are they making him do an itch and a scratch?

i went through with with a flea comb and couldn't see any dots. the dry skin seems to be where new hair is coming through. poor Bobbin, are they making him do an itch and a scratch?

Oh that's good :)

No it doesn't cause him to scratch at all :? He's had them a while and I believe many people say to just keep an eye on them. They are harmless really unless they get out of control or cause skin complaints :(

His skin is a little dry in places although not sore, just want to get rid so it doesn't get a chance to worsen :)

Oh poor Bobbin :( Bertie had a mite attack a few weeks ago, and got a couple of really sore patches on his shoulder and back.

The vet gave him 4 jabs over 4 weeks of Ivermectin. TBH, it had cleared up after 2, but we went with the whole course, they were only £4 a jab. The change in his patches was noticeable 2 days after the 1st jab.

He had the last one a fortnight ago, and we have been given Xeno Spot on drops to apply in a couple of days as the last part of treatment :)

(As Elve says it's confusing as 'Xennex' is made by the same company as 'Xeno', but is for flystrike prevention and flea elimination, not mites, and has been known to cause, at best, skin irritation, and at worst burning :shock:)

Hope your little guy's ok, nose rubs and kisses to him xx

Last edited:

That does sound like mites to me. Mo has flaky skin, I couldn't see any mites just the flakiness.

i ended up doing some research last night on possible natural remedies for fur mites but could only find things for ear mites.

i did just find this for cats, i wonder if any of the alternative treatments could be suitable for a rabbit? except the garlic obviously. mite treatment

i did read something about cornflour but can't find it for love nor money now, grr!

i ended up doing some research last night on possible natural remedies for fur mites but could only find things for ear mites.

i did just find this for cats, i wonder if any of the alternative treatments could be suitable for a rabbit? except the garlic obviously. mite treatment

i did read something about cornflour but can't find it for love nor money now, grr!

Ah yes I'm sure I heard something about cornflower. I know it helps as a "dry shampoo" to get rid of dirt, stuck poo etc, but I'm also sure I heard something about it being useful for mites.

This article suggests that Selamectin is the most effective ingredient for treating mites WARNING DISTRESSING IMAGES http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

Selamectin is the active ingredient found in Stronghold (spot on treatment). However there does not appear to be a Stronghold or similar product manufactured specifically for rabbits (in the UK at least).

Purplebumble also started a thread recently regarding Selamectin and Ivermectin and found some products without prescription on the web, active ingredient Ivermectin http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115132

Failing that it would appear that Xeno 450 (also containing ivermectin) is the way to go.

I can find nothing relating to cornflower - although my suspicions tell me that as it helps to remove trapped dirt from fur it would in the same way pull the eggs latched onto the fur out too. But it's a bit hit or miss :?

i gave the little monster the once over just now and his flakes are concerntrated between his shoulder blades, i did a bit of reading and this indicates that it is mites, dagnammit!! i bet it's from when he had a different hay a few weeks ago. :(

:wave:

glad the links were of interest..

bifs got them still but she has fur..no bald patches just dry skin so im trying another 3 weeks of the drops from pharmaq......i have to be careful cos now when her n bandit are out he has started washing her...

i had a chat with rob and he said if i want to give selamectin a go them hes willing to help..but i must realsue hes not responsible for naything that goes wrong as its a drug not meant for buns......

yet you can buy revolution without prescription and its used widely in the usa...odd isnt it.

i dont know ill give the ivmec drops a bash again..xeno 450 did nothing neither did ivermec jabs!!

be aware that mites if not visible can only be confirmed by a skin scrape..some buns have recovered from mites but have dry dry flaky skin as a residual danruff..
rob did ask if id like bif tested again but i said no itd be veen more stressful than the drops.....

i do find if you can comb the area with a white nit comb..the cheap ones down the chemist etc double sided....that very iften if you look very closely youll see little specks of dust but if you wacth..they wiggle.......on pale buns they look black on dark buns hey look gingery or even grey to white.
the scratching with mites is furious and frantic much owrse than the moult itch.....and fur loss will be visible......bald patches if you part the fur.

Hiya :wave:

Oh I'm sorry Bif's still got them :( I think I'm going to try with the Xeno 450 first, then something else if that fails.

I did find it odd that Selamectin is readily available for use on rabbits in the states but not here :? I suppose it will be in time, they are always letting things pass quicker than us :rolleyes:

Bobbin's mites are visible in the places where he is white. I can't see them in the brown areas at all :shock: They are tiny, definitely not lice because there's no dark spots of poop that I believe lice leave behind.

I let you know how we get on with the Xeno 450 (not sure when I will start it though as Bobbin has a date on Sunday!) :lol:

Good luck with Bif :)

Back