• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pearl back from vets - tumour, not cysts

Amsy1991

Mama Doe
Ok so today my mum and chloe's o/h took pearl to the vets (along with a bunny or two) and the vet took a look at pearl. She could feel some lumps and agrees it could be ovarian crysts (sp). The vet said it was very risky giving Pearl the op and advised us to just leave it :(

I dont want Pearl to die though, and if she does id rather it would be after or during the operation than just because of the crysts. I know she could live for months without the operation, but i dont know. :( Im just so worried and i dont know whats best for her. :(

What should i do? :cry:

Last edited:
Did they say why the operation would be risky? Sounds like you need to find another vet that is experienced with guinea pigs.

:shock:You can't leave it because the cysts can rupture.

All I can say is the vet that saw Moltey wasn't sure she had cysts and by the time it was decided, she was very thin, I guess due to the cysts. The vets scanned Jumble and let me see it and they were so obvious it was amazing. If you could get a scan to confirm, it would be great and I would go for the op sooner rather than later. The longer you leave it the more chance there is of them rupturing. One of Motley's cysts ruptured while being removed so I wonder if she would still be with us if we'd left it. She's now 5.

My mum said the vet said because she was so small, and she wasnt sure what the lump was and if it was attatched to anything or not.

As soon as i found out i wanted to go ahead with the op, my mom could have done it today but she didnt want to do it without asking me. Pearl is 3 btw. I dont know what would be best :( I dont want to leave the cysts as i know they will/can rupture. And that will cause her pain right? And it can be fatal? I want to go ahead with the op, but my mum explained she could die on the op table. :cry: I dont know. :cry:

When Motley was operated on she was 600gms, she'd dropped from a kilo, and 4 years old.

It is really up to you and I don't want to sound like I am pushing you in any direction, just giving you my experinces. Possibly you could try the injections, otherwise try and get a scan to confirm if you are worried. If you're vets don't have a ultrasound scanner they could refer you to another vet who does. I don't know how much this would cost, we are £35 but our vets are quite reasonable.

I know how you feel, I have a rabbit in for spaying tomorrow, and worry about the risks, but after having lost Bertha to cancer I've decided that if they do die on the table, at least they know nothing about it. Untreated they could suffer the same fate as Bertha, its a risk I have to take.

My mum said the vet said because she was so small, and she wasnt sure what the lump was and if it was attatched to anything or not.

As soon as i found out i wanted to go ahead with the op, my mom could have done it today but she didnt want to do it without asking me. Pearl is 3 btw. I dont know what would be best :( I dont want to leave the cysts as i know they will/can rupture. And that will cause her pain right? And it can be fatal? I want to go ahead with the op, but my mum explained she could die on the op table. :cry: I dont know. :cry:

I don't understand why the vet thinks she might die, unless they are not experienced with performing a gp spay. An xray needs to be done first for a proper diagnosis, before the operation.

My ex vet did not want to operate on Kylie, and said it wasn't fair putting her through the 'stress' of an xray. I found an experienced vet and he operated on her straight away.

Is your vet an exotic vet, are they experienced with guinea pigs?

Thanks for that halfpenny. :) Your not pushing :D

Im not sure misspiggy, its Chloaster's usual vet and i would have thought she would be used to it. Ill talk to my mum after this lady has gone home who she is talking to (im not allowed to interupt :roll::lol:)

Thanks guys, i just dont see how Pearl could die on the table?! And i know she will be in a lot of pain if i leave it. :cry:

Thanks for that halfpenny. :) Your not pushing :D

Im not sure misspiggy, its Chloaster's usual vet and i would have thought she would be used to it. Ill talk to my mum after this lady has gone home who she is talking to (im not allowed to interupt :roll::lol:)

Thanks guys, i just dont see how Pearl could die on the table?! And i know she will be in a lot of pain if i leave it. :cry:

Something has to be done, even if its only hormone injections, but an xray needs to be done first to see what the problem is.

Something has to be done, even if its only hormone injections, but an xray needs to be done first to see what the problem is.

Okay, i thought the vet would have x-rayed her anyway. :?

Uhh this is going to be really hard. :cry: We think this is what Misty had, it was hard enough loosing her :(

Anyway, ill speak to my mum and let you know :rolleyes:

The vet said it wasn't ovarian cysts Amy, the lump is in the wrong place. She believes she has a tumour which could be removed by neutering her. There is always a risk with GA's and GP's are not the easiest animals to spay so she weighed up the pros and cons and gave your mum the options. The tumour at present is fairly small and Pearl is well and active in herself which is why she didn't push for the operation. Obviously if Pearl was in discomfort or not eating or showing other signs of illness it would have been a different story.

The vet said it wasn't ovarian cysts Amy, the lump is in the wrong place. She believes she has a tumour which could be removed by neutering her. There is always a risk with GA's and GP's are not the easiest animals to spay so she weighed up the pros and cons and gave your mum the options. The tumour at present is fairly small and Pearl is well and active in herself which is why she didn't push for the operation. Obviously if Pearl was in discomfort or not eating or showing other signs of illness it would have been a different story.

Ahh ok. :)

my foster bun was diagnosed with a tumpour due to incorrect material being used for a spey. The tumours have attached themxselves to all her internal organs so cant be removed.
She has weekly depocilin sp? injections now and it seems to have shrunk the lumps.

my foster bun was diagnosed with a tumpour due to incorrect material being used for a spey. The tumours have attached themxselves to all her internal organs so cant be removed.
She has weekly depocilin sp? injections now and it seems to have shrunk the lumps.

Aww thats a shame, what do the injections do? Just reduce the lump size?

:)

I've had two lumps removed out of my piggie Ernie and he had his nipples removed, but he's ok now :D

Aww thats a shame, what do the injections do? Just reduce the lump size?

:)

Yep they've reduced the lump.
The vet explained that the material used for her spey wasnt a good material to use for rabbtis and its caused these tumours. I think the tumours flare up and the injections calm down the infammation.
She eats fine etc.. but there's that horrid shadow hanging over her :cry:

Back