• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have a fan for their hutches?

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Piper and Minstrel are up on the top floor of the playhouse where its a little bit cooler but still pretty warm. Seeing as its only May I figure its going to get warmer and I don't want them to boil. They've got water with ice cubes in and one of those Ice Pod things that you put in the freezer. I thought I could get them a fan, does anyone know where I can get one from? I'd prefer a battery or solar powered one but we are in the process of putting electricity up there for a light so can add a fan to it if necessary.

Thanks

Helen x

Fans work mostly by speeding up evaporation of sweat on our skin, and thus taking away some of the heat (as the sweat will take in our body heat) - animals don't sweat and don't have much skin exposed for a fan to work in the same way. The most effective way to use a fan for animals is to have it blowing air over a cool object (ice, frozen object, cool water etc) as this cools the air as it passes over and blows cool air into the hutch.
One thing I did on a particular hot summer was hang towels soaked in very cold water (bowls underneath to catch drips) from the ceiling and have a fan aimed to blow across them

I'm going to get two water bottles and freeze them every morning for them to lie against. Much better I think as they can cool themselves down faster that way.

I have a fan for one of my sheds..the one that takes most of the sun..the other shed is concrete based and never gets hot
(I also have heaters for both in winter)

Back