• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Destructive Bunny!

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hiya, :wave:

I've had Darcy (un-neutered female, 8 month standard Rex) for about a month now. Just wondering, are they normally as destructive as she is?! I've got all sorts of stuff in her hutch and run for her to nibble on (branches, gnaw blocks etc), but she insists on chewing her hutch! She's munched the ladder, run, doors etc and she's chewed up a piece of cage matting. I've just had to replace her food bowl as she was nibbling the plastic (she now has a stainless steel one). The other thing, she's really messy - I fill her food bowl up and put it in for her, and she picks it up by her teeth and throwns it about, getting food everywhere! She has treat balls etc, but still insists on making a right mess!! She is v.good with her toileting though - always in the litter tray. But then she drags the newspaper out from underneath and sends it everywhere!!

I think she's just a bunny with a LOT of character!

I'm thinking of having her neutered and having a rescue husbun-d for her, but I'm worried she won't take to a new boyfriend? Will the rescue advise me on how to bond them? The last thing I want to do is take on a boy bunny and then have to return him cause she's eaten him alive?!?! :roll::lol:

Thanks in advance!

Holly

If she is making serious dents into the hutch then you can buy some metal corner edging from B&Q. Drill a small hole in each end of the metal and then simply affix with a nail and it protects the corners from the little monsters :lol:

If she is making serious dents into the hutch then you can buy some metal corner edging from B&Q. Drill a small hole in each end of the metal and then simply affix with a nail and it protects the corners from the little monsters :lol:

I think I definately need something like that! She's eating her way out of her home!!

Ha Ha!! sounds just like my frenchie Fleur. She has been speyed, but still destroys everything in her path, despite giving her toys, willow sticks, stacks of hay and a cardboard box!! If anything is in her way she just picks it up in her teeth and throws it and can dig for England!! She has a great character though and very intelligent - I still haven't found a way to stop her destroying things, but I suppose to her she is just doing rabbity things - just a case of rabbit proofing the things you don't want her to touch and giving her other things to destroy!! Good Luck!!

Back