• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do they have enough space?

xShellx

Alpha Buck
I have Marble and Pepper both giants in Thisal hall hutch inside a 13 foot by 7 foot run. I remove the bottom door of the hutch everday early in morning untill it gets dark at night.

Is it ok to have a small hutch just for nights? Im too scared to leve them out all night!!!

If it is safe for daytime it should be safe for night time..I think it would be better to have them in the run all the time, as long as you are 100% sure it's secure and they can't dig or chew out. They tend to be most active at night, so two giants wuld be better with more room?

I get alot of foxes in my garden so thats why I put them away at night. Its 6 foot high but there is nothing over the top and also I havnt secured the bottom yet but they havnt tried digging out yet.

I just think if they are in the hutch the foxes have to get in the run and they in the hutch so its extra safe.

Will take some photos later, They are chillin in the sun at the mo!

if the run has no top I wouldn't leave them in it all day either - a fox can easily climb in they are like cats more than dogs - and they often come around in the day this time of year as they have cubs to feed and are braver through being hungry - I wouldn't chance it :?

Hey :wave:

I think you have a fab run, saw the piccies of building in progress, but I would highly recommend having a top and bottom added/built as foxes and/or most dogs wouldn't have a problem clearing a 6 foot fence or digging their way under

Lian x

i have bought some chicken wire for the bottom. shall i just lay it under the run. Or i was thinking of putting it into the ground buy a bout a foot so its harder to dig under.

What can i use for the top?

Do you have piccies of the finished run so I think about ideas for top. I've never used wire on the bottom (always been on slabs) so not much help there I'm afraid.

Lian x

I was thinking slabs but I want them to be on the grass. I was thinking of tying the wire on the top and on the bottom putting the wire deap into the ground so they have to dif over 2 foot down to get out.

Will take photos in a bit

might be best if you make a 60cm wide roll of chicken wire into an L shape, and then lift the turf around the outside of the run, to bury the bottom part of the L, and leave the top part sticking up around the outside of the run, so long as they can't scratch themselves on it if they go in the garden freerange? I would put a row of pavers around the inside edge too, so they're not tempted to dig out.

for the top you can buy cage mesh from wilkinsons and staple it to a wooden frame - if you do it in sections it shouldn't be too hard - then make a wooden cross shape on the top of the run to nail the frames to?

If the sides of the run are chicken wire too, be aware that it's not strong enough - even a rabbit can bite through chicken wire - you need cage mesh.

might be best if you make a 60cm wide roll of chicken wire into an L shape, and then lift the turf around the outside of the run, to bury the bottom part of the L, and leave the top part sticking up around the outside of the run, so long as they can't scratch themselves on it if they go in the garden freerange? I would put a row of pavers around the inside edge too, so they're not tempted to dig out.

for the top you can buy cage mesh from wilkinsons and staple it to a wooden frame - if you do it in sections it shouldn't be too hard - then make a wooden cross shape on the top of the run to nail the frames to?

If the sides of the run are chicken wire too, be aware that it's not strong enough - even a rabbit can bite through chicken wire - you need cage mesh.

hi its not wood.

heres a picture on my other thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127656&highlight=marble

See what I mean about the top being open. I might try and tie chicken wire over the top later.

oh yes I see what you mean - I would imagine they'd make the grass in the run unusable pretty quickly, so I would site it completely on pavers - that way nothing can dig in or out. I guess cage mesh could be fastened easily over the top in strips, using heavy duty cable ties - you could also tie a tarpaulin over the top - oooh I want one now :D

I know that when i am going to lay my turf in 2 weeks, where the runs will be i am laying an 8ft x 5ft pice of steel 1inch square fencing (the stuff that you can only cut with wire cutters) about 1/2ft-1ft under neath the top soil... then the turf goes on top. This way it wont affect the turf and there is extra security... The same fencing is being used for the sides of the run which is going to be bedded in the ground 1/2 ft down following the outline of the bottom wire...

You can even tie mesh to the top of the run... i will sag a bit if you dont put any thing to hold it up with but it will be fine for the bunnies...

(no idea if that makes any sense :lol:)

Why not put slabs(I hope we're talking about rock :oops:) around the edges of the run, so that your buns have still got grass but cant dig through the stone around the edges?

zoomay2008207.jpg

zoomay2008210.jpg

Just spent all afernoon puting mesh on the roof and i put mesh underneith. Not much grass left!

Back