• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Locust bean treats?

I've seen these treats in many pet shops over the years. Never known what they are tho, they just look foul!! Are they actually safe for animals?

They're carob pods - carob is what's used in most pet choccies as a safe alternative. Not toxic but not really their natural diet - I avoid most store-bought products anyway. A slice of apple is much more natural and probably goes down as well/better :)

Mine used to love these but they've been removed from all rabbit foods now as they're dangerous - the pods used to have the beans sin still and many rabbits choked to death on them. Avoid them like the plague!!

Mine used to love these but they've been removed from all rabbit foods now as they're dangerous - the pods used to have the beans sin still and many rabbits choked to death on them. Avoid them like the plague!!

Just to add to this ... the seeds can become lodged in the rabbits intestine's and cause a blockage. A definate nono for buns.

I used to give them to H, he liked them (they were in his mixed food) untill I found moths in a batch:shock:
they contaminated all the food and I had little moths and webs in the food container and when I inspected them there were little maggots in the bean centres :shock::shock: :? chucked the lot!

I used to give them to H, he liked them (they were in his mixed food) untill I found moths in a batch:shock:
they contaminated all the food and I had little moths and webs in the food container and when I inspected them there were little maggots in the bean centres :shock::shock: :? chucked the lot!

Those would be indian meal moths - they're not toxic or anything (just a bit of extra protein!), and it would be larvae (like caterpillars) rather than maggots so no need to worry about them harming the animals, but they're a pain to get rid of if they infest your house to best to get rid of any food with them ASAP.

Back