• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does Metacam upset tummies?

the 57 bears

Young Bun
My Eliot has been taking Metacam for 3 days now nad yesterday and today I found clusters of mushy poo in the cage... Should I worry about his diet or is it just the Metacam?

Ps. I've just found out that he LOVES the Burgess Supa Forage hay... and he's really not into hay at all!!!

Metacam can only be given when the stomach has some food inside. If it is empty, it can cause some problem

So I give metacam, because my bunny doesn't eat hay, I use my juicer to splash 12 oz of blackberry and mix w/ timothy hay (cut), syringe feed her, then wait 5 min., and insert the metacam

by the way, the normal dosage of metacam, assuming your bottle is the 1.5 mg/ml dosage, should be:

normal dosage = weight in KG x 0.1 / 1.5

Double check your amt. is like the above, overdose of metacam can easily kill a rabbit:

http://metacamkills.com/

My Eliot has been taking Metacam for 3 days now nad yesterday and today I found clusters of mushy poo in the cage... Should I worry about his diet or is it just the Metacam?

Ps. I've just found out that he LOVES the Burgess Supa Forage hay... and he's really not into hay at all!!!

Hello :)

I have never personally encountered a Bun that develops mushy poo whilst on Metacam but it is a possibility. However, did the developement of mushy poo coincide with the introduction of the Supa Forage Hay ?

Janex

I to have never had a bun that has had squishy poo's from metacam but I wouldn't say it was impossible to cause it. I to thought the same as Jane did it appear at the same time as introducing the supa forage

Hello,

Metacam can cause squishy droppings as I have experienced it myself with my rabbits.

What dosage of Metacam is your bunny on? Ideally you need to give it with a small amount of food and not on an empty tum. Some people put a drop on a bit of spring green. Is Eliot on metacam drops or injectable? Injectable may not upset the tum so much.

If Eliot is going to be on metacam for a little while I would get some ranitidine for him too as metacam can cause stomach ulcers when used over a period of time. The ranitidine counteracts this.

Hugs to Eliot.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I always give Metacam on a piece of food(I find organic dried apricot goes down a treat), to try to counteract any stomach problems.

You could also try giving probiotics, to help with the squishy poo.

Personally I hve never had any problems with Metacam causing tummy upsets but as it can cause gastric ulceration its obvious it does have an effect on the tummy so I would say its not improbable.

If there is no obvious dietary cause then perhaps asking for some Zantac and probiotics may help.

Marbles been on metacam for almost 3 weeks, hes on 6 drops a day for 6 weeks.

Not noticed any problems but I do wonder how much im geting into him. I have been trying to get him to lick it off a spoon last few days as broke the suringe. Will get another today

Hello,

Metacam can cause squishy droppings as I have experienced it myself with my rabbits.

What dosage of Metacam is your bunny on? Ideally you need to give it with a small amount of food and not on an empty tum. Some people put a drop on a bit of spring green. Is Eliot on metacam drops or injectable? Injectable may not upset the tum so much.

If Eliot is going to be on metacam for a little while I would get some ranitidine for him too as metacam can cause stomach ulcers when used over a period of time. The ranitidine counteracts this.

Hugs to Eliot.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Eliot is taking two drops of Metacam 1.5 for dogs, always with food. But he doesn't seem to still be in any pain and has stopped wetting himself when under effort (he had a light spinal contusion), so as the vet said, I'll interrupt the cure on the fifth day (tomorrow). So I'm not worried about ulcers, he's done with Metacam...

And no, I only gave him the Supa Forage yesterday for the first time. But it's not thimothy hay, so I think I'll try another type soon; I was just looking for a type of hay he would be interested into as the Excel Forage (thimothy hay and herbs blend) wasn't very successful... I would like to try the Oxbow hay but it's sooooooo expensive!!!

I am now feeding Wagg Optimum pellets, but again, I don't think they're the best at all as they seem to be low in fibre and high in protein and calcium, plus it doesn't say what kind of hay they're based on. Will change product when the bag ends!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Just a thought but are the mushy poos cecal droppings? :) Perhaps the metacam has made his cecotrophes not very nice to the taste?!

Just a thought but are the mushy poos cecal droppings? :) Perhaps the metacam has made his cecotrophes not very nice to the taste?!

I don't think so, even though it's possible that they were but he lied on them and squished them... He seems to be fine now, no more mushy poo, but I'm giving him his next dose of metacam now and I'll check if it happens again...

Back